In need of some help, fiberglass sailboat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Moriarty, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Moriarty

Moriarty New Member

Hey, So last summer, I was working and had some money and was still gonna be in high school so i thought, i want a sailboat. The one of the local sailing schools had attempted to make a fleet, which went over budget, and they where selling off all the unassembled sail boats. its a Buzz. a boat from the UK. i bought the last complete set. just missing lines and a few blocks. but im not worried about that just yet. what i plan on starting in the next week or two is joining the hull.
    its got 3 parts , hull , spaceframe the deck. i only have knowledge in fiberglass repair jobs.. and i really don't want to have a leaky boat. can anyone tell me where to begin, or where to get help?

heres the buzz class site..
    http://www.bu22.co.uk/

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Hi mate,

try your school tech dept, it could well be a very good oportunity for them to use your boat as a teaching aid. You get to keep it in the end and have all the help you need in the mean time.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Sounds like that boat is commonly delivered in pieces in order to nest the decks with the decks, frames with frames, and hulles with hulls. Makes sense if that's the idea.
    My guess is that a two-part polyurethane or epoxy sealant/adhesive is used to join the seperate parts. No fasteners would be needed if this were the case. It probably uses a shoebox joint at the sheer and the frame within would be coated with adhesive in all the faying places.
    Contact the company and request literature to complete the assembly. They will be able to steer you in the right direction---what and where to clamp, what adhesive to use, etc..
    Should be pretty simple.

Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.