Non slip surface incorporated into the mold?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Splint, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Splint

Splint Junior Member

Hi,
    I've seen the Flex-Mold products and I'm curious to know if the textured surface can be applied to the plug or mold so that when the mold is completed the textured surface is there ready for production. What I would like to be able to do is make a floor molding with the non slip surface finished when the part pops out of the mold. I'd prefer to stay away from spray on methods to avoid the extra step of spraying. Are there any other products/manufacturers who can do this?

Cheers
    Splint

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

the closest i've seen to what you are talking about is a hinckly picnic boat, but it isnt really non-skid, its just a tic-tac-toe design and on any boat is useless. if you want true texture and for it to work right as non-skid putting it on mold i dont think would work, your layup would stick to your mold there, you need smooth surface for your mold to release, and just a light texture that would release wouldnt be much of non-skid, would be smooth bumps

3. Eagle Boats

Eagle Boats Senior Member

We have used Flex-Mold products, and it does exactly what you are looking for. To incorporate a non-skid finish in the mold, you apply the Flex-Mold onto the plug. The finished mold will then have the reverse textured finish, so that when you make your part, it will look exactly like the plug.

Even though using their product is fairly straightforward, I would make a few small practice plugs to gain the necessary experience.

4. Jratte

Jratte Junior Member

Ok, this is my first post here so I hope it all comes out right. Years ago when I worked at Boston BoatWorks we did this for the deck of the 34Z. Applied the nonskid pattern to the deck plug. Seemed to work well, I was only around for the first three boats so I'm not sure if this is what they are still doing.

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Here in downeast Maine, I've seen plastic pebbly-surface 2 x 4 panels (used for suspended ceilings where light fixtures are located above) used in molds.
    they offer a cheap gluable (into the mold or plug) non-skid surface that when finished, is very washable but makes for safe footing.
    They are probably about $3- $4 apiece.

Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.