Electric engine for low speed operations wanted

Discussion in 'Electric Propulsion' started by Magnus W, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Magnus W

Magnus W Senior Member

I'm planning my next workboat and I'm set on getting a hybrid system with diesel for high speed and electric for low speed.

In order to keep it as simple as possible I'd like to have the electric engine in line with the shaft from the PTO (see drawing of the principal layout).

Parker has electrical engines that could work but only, afaik, 400 VAC (see screen dump). For safety reasons I'd like 48.

Diesel engine has 588 kW at 2100 rpm so the rotor has to be able to handle that. About 40 kW electric is what I'm looking for.

2. alan craig

alan craig Senior Member

833 Amps?

3. Magnus W

Magnus W Senior Member

Yes, but only for short bursts (if ever). 12 kW normally, so 250 A.

But it seems that the benefits of low voltage aren't big enough to warrant spending the big money. I've spoken more to Parker who claims that higher voltage is better and definitely cheaper. 600 VDC and 40 kW is 67 A, 12 kW needs only 20. They have an engine called GVK which has a hollow rotor so it can be placed inline in an existing system and have the drive shaft go straight through it (in my case between the pto and the jet). This way there's no need for an extra transmission, belts and pulleys or whatever. They'll check to see if the rpm and power needs that I have match what they can deliver (40 kW at 800 rpm).

DogCavalry likes this.
  4. Artem Klochko

Artem Klochko Junior Member

40 kW at 800 rpm is a torque 477.46 Nm
    Such electric motor will be very large.

5. Magnus W

Magnus W Senior Member

I dont know much about electric engines so please define large.

A direct drive has its benefits, such as simplicity. But if the weight penalty is too big it’s not worth it.

6. Artem Klochko

Artem Klochko Junior Member

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.