Are Dutch inland water tugs (sleepboot) suitable for Mediterranean Aegean sea?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by YiannisK, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

TANSL, my dear, you're just twisting and turning my words for polemic sake, as always . . :confused:

I didn't say there's any evil in not understanding, for not understanding I've just enlightened a way to educate yourself . . :cool:

And I've also questioned if you up to the task of advising here, while clearly not knowing about the essentials of the matter at hand, as usually . . :eek:

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

3. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

It seems this thread is starting to drift off topic and starting to get some reported posts from this thread, so it's probably a good time to interject a polite request; let's please return the thread to YiannisK's topic. Thanks.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The boats pictured by the OP look sea-able, well beyond the confines of a canal. And any deficit in speed could be partially rectified at least, by a change of propeller. Of course the Med gets rough, so does virtually any wide expanse of water, from time to time, and this is where prudent attention to conditions and forecasts is essential, and easier today than ever before. If you haven't got a safe window, you stay in port. I once met a guy who worked on a large live-sheep export ship.....it went down in the Med in an horrific gale, with him still aboard. You cannot find a boat that is possible to travel over the sea with impunity.

5. Angélique

There always comes a day you're get caught on the wrong moment out there, just for a brief period of time, and then the prospected boats, in the intended sailing area, don't have sufficient safety margin for this in my view.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  6. Mr Efficiency

There are few surprises these days, for people apprised of, and adherent to, weather and sea condition forecasts, and warnings. Needless to say, you want a margin over and above the forecast conditions, that the boat can safely manage, and mechanical reliability is essential. Getting the boat from Holland to the area of intended use might be a bigger problem. But once there, if you can pick your times, and do so wisely, I'm not sure what the hazard is. Having to put to sea in marginal conditions, like some fishermen might feel compelled to do, is not something a recreational user should have to contend with.

7. Angélique

No problem getting there, from Holland through Belgium and the canals in France and you're in the Med.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  8. Angélique

I'll look up a more suitable example for the intended area of use then the ones in post #4, hang on please . . :cool:

9. Mr Efficiency

Excuse my ignorance, I did not know that was possible. I certainly would not be interested in taking that boat the "other" way ! And I'm also assuming the state of the art of weather/sea predictions in his area of interest is top-notch. But I don't know if that is so.

10. Angélique

OK, here some for sale, 3 pages...

But first the problem with the boats in post #4, here's one example from the above link . . . .

(it's one of the boats in post #4, she has a bigger picture there)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The problem goes for all boats previously posted, they all get the windows and doors smashed out by some violent waves, then they make water, get unstable, capsize and sink. Also one 90° knock down, from which the boat should be able to right, but the windows and doors get shattered, with the same result as above . . :(

Also the linked boat has no mention of ballast at all, so don't know anyting about righting, it's a in 2000 build boat, only build for inland recreational use.

Next post a more capable one for the intended use...

11. Angélique

Here's one with almost the same outside dimensions as the one above, but she has small firm dodgeable windows and doors, and ballast, this is a sea going boat when it's not to rough . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's a German ex naval tug of the Elbe Class, so not Dutch, and also not 100% for inland use, but in my view best look for her characteristics as the least minimum when going to the Med.

Good luck !

12. Mr Efficiency

I don't see any great issue with the barge boats, if properly reconfigured for the Med conditions, and recreational accommodation, which might also mean allowing for warmer climate. If there is enough beam in those canal boats, which might be a possible snag.

13. Angélique

Some info about the last above posted boat...

She was a Elbe 'Klasse' (Class) 'Schlepper' (tug) of the 'Volksmarine' (People's Navy) of the former German Democratic Republic (GDR).

Here's the yard of this 'Schleppboot' (tug) 'Typ' (type) "ELBE"

For info, look for: 'Projekt' (project) ‘‘ 2203 ’’, and the boat name ‘‘ Stormvogel ’’, and ‘‘ B-Nr.27 ’’ (build № 27)

There's 15 large pictures of this particular boat there, interior and exterior and engine room, and also some general drawings of the type..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While in GDR naval service . . .
    [​IMG]

Nowadays . . .
    [​IMG]

The boat has now her bulwarks in the bow area raised, here's the current sales info in German on site of the yard. UQ on the bow = Usquert.

14. YiannisK

YiannisK Junior Member

dear all friends,
    Thank you very much for all the advices, my profession "was" captain in the Greek merchant navy, now I am working in the land, unfortunately in the offices, I know very well the Aegean sea and the bad weather of the meltemi, I also own a classic yawl 5oft, and I'm sailing and i am also participating to classic regattas, I was first this year at Spetses Classic regatta. Although I want to have a cruiser for family's weekend and going around the saronic, and the argolic gulf with more space for children and friends and not more than 3 to 4 days on her. Thats why I decided to buy a small tug boat. Speed is not something that matters for me and I will never go out with a very bad weather. The tugs I have posted are much more elegant than the one Angelique has posted. One other problem which worries me is the transportation, unfortunately there are no this kind of boats in Greece so I have to bring them from Holland, Seven stars shipping company has quoted me 17.000€ which I believe is too much. I was thinking if I can find someone to make the trip through the rivers (an experienced skipper) and I will probably join him in some parts of that journey.
    again i would like to thank all of you and all opinions are important.

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Holland is not too far. You should be able to bring it on its own bottom. The canals through France would shorten the trip.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.