Solidworks help please

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Saqa, May 30, 2021.

1. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

I have been trying to get some approximate volume information and visualise a shape I have in mind related to this thread
    Exofish!....a WIG canoe https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/exofish-a-wig-canoe.65590/

I don't have access to anything like solidworks so would like to request someone to help me model a shape to figure out some volumes and such. Be great if the modelled shape can be scaled on the fly. Will be of great help thanks

4.5m Kayak Concept — Audova http://audova.com/transport-design/leonine
    1 - I am looking to scale this kayak to 25' length and widening to 10' with the average thickness being 3'
    2 - A 4' x 4' cockpit area similar shape to the one on the kayak
    3 - Profile cross-section generally resembling a foil shape at any slice front to back with the leading edges more rounded and trailing edges to a taper
    4 - good COG and COB

Wing Wing Z-84 EPO 845mm (KIT) https://hobbyking.com/en_us/wing-wing-z-84-epo-845mm-kit.html?___store=en_us
    1 - An under slung T foil similar to this but with moving wings to independently change angle of attack
    2 - A motor and air prop fitted to each wing. 2' prop dia
    3 - T-foil height of 3', wing span 6'
    4 - wing mounted 1' high on the foil, not at the bottom so not a capital 'T"

If any CAD experts have some time on their hands, please help in this exercise. Even better would be to guide me to create this in a freeware program. I do not have any CAD exposure higher than a simple boat design program called Hulls. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

I should make clear again that is just a hypothetical exercise to arrive at some initial figures and help visualise and understand a few things. I hope that it might go on to be a good side project if I might somehow arrive at a feasible design one day

Thanks and regards all
    Randy

2. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Should mention that I am visualising a RIB with the triangular prism types cockpit area bearing the under slung T-foil being the "rigid" bit made of foam carbon composite and the rest being hypalon skins

3. Dejay

Dejay Senior Newbie

For the foil design you could check out winghopper web app: WingHopper.com - free wing design web app! https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/winghopper-com-free-wing-design-web-app.65374/

I use Fusion 360 which is free for private use (so far) but any cad software does has some learning curve. Delftship free is easier to use and might give you the answers you are looking for e.g. volume, cg and even stability.

Or make a physical model out of foam, paper or wood.

If you're thinking of building a hydrofoiling kayak or canoe that could be interesting. There is a book "Hydrofoils: Design, Build, Fly: Ray Vellinga"

dreamingbarrierreef likes this.
  4. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Guys, its not about the ability with learning curve rather time to learn the curve issues as well as software pricing

Now can anyone guess where is this design spiral heading? Think as much out of the square as you can!
    Dejay you are thinking tame, take what you are thinking to a crazy conceptual extreme

The RIB craft will resemble an eagle ray in shape

5. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Junior Member

I second fusion 360. I currently use it professionally and while it has its limits it gets the job done

7. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Saqa, you generate so many outside the box ideas, it's time you devoted some creative capacity to mastering some design software. Your ideas are held up waiting for someone else to get through this phase. If you don't mind constantly waiting for help, that's fine, but your creative output is at a volume where you must be feeling claustrophobic.

Get Fusion 360, and master it. Then your ideas can really flow.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.