ARC Marine Everyman

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by martin Pedel, Jul 4, 2004.

1. martin Pedel

martin Pedel New Member

Somewhere around 1950 ARC Marine in Littlehampton were producing a pretty little carvel planked 30x8.6 cruiser called the Everyman. Does anyone out there know if any plans or lines exist? Any ideas?.

2. minstrel

minstrel New Member

hi martin i have just bought an everyman that needs renovating and although she floats she is in a poor state ... have you had any other replies keep in touch ... regards steve

3. ianc1200

ianc1200 New Member

I own the Everyman "Straight Across"; are you the chap who came to talk to me about everymans at the Henley Trad Rally this year? If so, there is an Everyman which is poor condition at West Mersea. Last year they were trying to sell her, but she's not lifting too well with the tide (she's dragged right up the beach). We saw her about three weeks ago when we had SA there (we're on the Crouch now) but expect to go back to the Blackwater this weekend if winds not too strong. If you want me to enquire about her give me a call (07930 697174, or e mail in next couple of days (ianc@binnacle-design.co.uk).

If you're not the same chap, sorry for the above, but I do have the GA plans, and lots of history, photo's of them being built, etc, which we (me and Chris W, owner of the Everyman Deben Rover) put together some years ago on a CDr.

The standard Everymans were actually 28', and 29' (eg Minita), 30' (Straight Across) and 34' (Spoonbill) variations were built. The boat was available as an open hull, a foredeck covered only harbour launch type, the standard Everyman with no wheelhouse shelter, but you could add the shelter, steadying sails, different engines etc. The built several other standard craft, and about 40 Everymans were built of which I've traced about 23. Some were sent to Portugal, others were exhibited at US boat shows and were sold there. The name ARC Marine came from "Aero Nauctical Radio Company" which was a 1938 pre war enterprise, and the first Everyman was built in 1947 (Tara S last on the Fal) the last Everyman in 1956 (Klipspringer, believed sunk). The penultimate Everyman, Balalaika, attends classic boat shows on the South Coast.

Minstrel

Where abouts are you and which one have you bought? If it's "Toujours" at West Mersea apologies for the comments above but will you be there in the next few weeks?

regards

Ian Clarke