Perkins 4-108 and Velvet drive trans problem

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by morgansailor, Sep 11, 2010.

1. morgansailor

morgansailor New Member

My engine dies as soon as I shift into Neutral/Reverse from Forward (after the engine has come to operating temperature). I have checked cable connections, fluid level, and fluid quality (no water, etc). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Chuck Losness

Chuck Losness Senior Member

Sounds to me like you have a problem with the governor on the injection pump. I have a 4108 in my gulfstar 37 and have noticed at times that the engine rpm momentarily decreases when I shift from forward into neutral and then comes back up to normal rpm. Hope this helps.

3. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I dont know this setup in particular but some shifter have some kind of microswitch that turns off either ignition in gas engines or fuel in diesels momentarily to allow easier shifting. Or your engine could a mechanical version of this. Try raising idle speed and see if problem continues.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

VelvetDrives don't need a shift interrupt switch. It could've been fitted anyway though. The transmission may be shifting into forward and reverse at the same time and locking.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.