XPS for floating cockpit panel?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by fallguy, May 27, 2018.

1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Anyone ever consider using 1" xps (extruded polystyrene) for cockpit panel?

I don't know how to do any of the calcs, so wondering what the skins would be...

The panels are 4x8; need 4. Designer hasn't specified anything yet. It is just meant to be a fun question. Since I am using corecell M; it seems crazy to consider, but the panels could be redone easily if they don't work, so I am tempted to take a risk.

These are floating panels and we'll be walking on them. They will have some conduits under as well that can add some stiffness.

Is there a way for me to do a calc? Anyway I can get away from biax peel concerns? I suppose the edges would get wrapped?

Or would a box structure be better? Use say 12mm core.

tia

ps I know xps gets into polemics in a hurry-hoping to stick to objective numbers, but it is outta my ballpark

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I'm gonna box beam it I think. I'll use corecell.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.