Apprenticeship/Traineeship/Indenture in Boat or Yacht design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by joz, May 29, 2004.

1. joz

joz Senior Member

I gather that these days that yacht design firms or ship building or boat manufactures around the globe aren’t offering any such apprenticeships/traineeships/indentures in the field of boat or yacht design. I probably gather that it would probably cost them in time and possibly money to teach someone the necessary skills, rather than the person being fully qualified at the time.

What’s are people thoughts on the subject, should there be more Apprenticeship/Traineeship/Indenture in the field of Boat or Yacht design on offer or should it be left the way it is?

Any comments.

2. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

Boat & yacht design is engineering. Think this way unless you want to be a drafty...
    Brett

3. Zed

Zed Guest

To become an engineer you need to go to university. Be aware: Yacht design is engineering, not art today.

Zed

4. edaydesign

edaydesign Yacht Designer

Design

Just a thought......

In the manufacturing world, you need more than just engineering. A very well trained Industrial Designer can and will bring a project (like a yacht) from idea through production. It takes problem solving, sketching, materials knowledge, and the help of a awsome design team.

Would you like to spend alot of money on a yacht that is just designed by engineers? I think not.... You need a design team.

A successful design team is a collaboration of Industrial designers, Naval Achitects, brand strategists, Structural + electrical engineers and ergonomic spe******ts.

Designers are not just draft people that create pretty pictures......

Some good design scholols:
    Royal College of Art+Design
    University of Cincinnati (DAAP)
    Art Center

5. edaydesign

edaydesign Yacht Designer

These schools also provide the opportunity to do internships in the transportation industry, including yacht design.

I speak from personnal experience..

6. Cian Groves

Cian Groves Junior Member

A Naval Architect is an engineer who has specialized in designing structures for the marine environment so in theory they should be able to take a vessel from concept to completion, that is what they have gone to university to study.
    A stylizest could be brought in for a project at the request of a client, otherwise it's the job of the Naval Architect, I suppose this is why their title has Architect in it. :D
    On the other hand I have also worked in a drafting office where many of us were engineers and were there because we wanted to design not just crunch numbers.

Cheers,
    Cian

p.s. Brett there is nothing wrong with Drafties, many a Engineer & Architect could learn alot from them. ;)

7. I think more boats can be sold by a very good stylist than all the best engineering in the world. There will always be beautiful DOGS stealing customers. Poor Volvo ( Ford with a Yamaha V8 engine ). Poor Saab ( GM vortec ). Great engineering but poor styling and truthfull PR . Fatal combination.

8. Do any of you who design, believe SUV's are a safe vehicle? Those who answer YES. Are PROMOTED to the PR department. With a 75 % raise!! :) Remember - we are in business to sell cars first. Then we can make them safer. No sales, no company.

9. Cian Groves

I agree a Stylist can bring alot of flair & appeal to a vessel. But to say they are at the apex of the design process, I feel is incorrect. Would you buy a vessel that was solely designed by Stylist or a Naval Architect?

Cheers,
    Cian

10. I sometimes do not write well what I think.-------The stylist gets the deposit. The engineer keeps them safe and a return customer. Is that easier to understand?

11. Cian Groves

Hi Richard,
    Yeah I understand & I agree with you. The reason I have voiced my opinion is that I have had some interesting experiences with some stylists.

Cheers,
    Cian

12. Lets here them. :p

13. Stylists. Lets hear your side. :p

14. Any body who would like to give us a earfull. BUUT. Login again under a no name and no name pass word. Keeps the job safe. I am retired :)

15. Also set up your profile so you get no contact by email or secret messages. I have a couple of designs that went a little different. :eek:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.