Options to replace QUADRAXIAL CARBON

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by steve lewis, May 7, 2021.

1. steve lewis

steve lewis New Member

Hello, I am building a 31' power catamaran and the layup schedule provided to me incorporates a layer of quad carbon on the wing deck and interior hull sides. I understand the strength and stiffness this will add but it nearly doubles the price. We are already using a layer of innegra on the bottom and im wondering if we can achieve similar results with more of this in lieu of the carbon.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum Steve.
    I think that you will have to provide some more info about your boat before anybody can ooffer an opinion re your question.
    Can you tell us please what design she is, the method of construction, and the lay up schedule in the areas that you are concerned about?
    And if you have any photos that you can post of her construction, then even better!

3. steve lewis

steve lewis New Member

Hi and thanks for the response. So the layup of the tunnel and hull bottoms from gelcoat in would be 1 1/2oz mat, 1708, 1808, 45/45 carbon innegra, 1" m80 core,1708, quad carbon,1808. I dont want to share pics yet but she is beautiful! twin 300 hp outboards and fully loaded around 8500 lbs displacement. I fully trust the strength and durability of this design and will probably use it exactly but am interested in the weight penalty to substitute another product.

4. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

As you are not keen on sharing any photos (just yet), can you tell us what design is she please?
    She should be pretty fast, with 2 x 300 hp O/B motors on 31' and just over 4 tonnes loaded displacement.

5. Alik

Alik Senior Member

I think You should probably have asked the original designers to advise on fabric replacement. We always do that.

bajansailor likes this.