APACHE is BACK!!!

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by sharkeymarine, Jul 15, 2002.

1. sharkeymarine

sharkeymarine 2 Fins Up!!

That is correct... Apparently the Apache is on the Warpath and has been resurrected with an all "NEW" design and "Building Technique". Come checkout the LINK located under "Boat Building" at; www.sharkeymarine.com This should make the New York Poker run next year a bit interesting.
    I love the OUTERLIMITS & CIGARETTES, but now the Apache is looking to make a come back and I just love to see people push the technology envelope. Can't wait to see what their hulls are capable of.....

2. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Good news.

Also interesting that the Apache USA web site says only six 41's will be built per year.

I like the way their site juxtaposes the old and the new too.

Attached Files:

3. FRANKIEFRANKIE

FRANKIEFRANKIE Junior Member

APACHE HULL

DO REMEMBER THAT THE DDC PATENT IS A MECHANICAL PATENT AND NOT A DESIGN PATENT. FROM THE CARTOON DRAWINGS YOU HAVE IT DOES NOT NAGATE A CHANGE. OR HAVE YOU CONTACTED HARRY SCHOELL FOR THIS DESIGN? MODIFIED DDC AS I THINK YOU CALLED IT.

4. sharkeymarine

Patent

The patent that was being referred to if I am correct, was for the engineering and technology of how the laminants would be put into the mold to build the boats.

5. FRANKIEFRANKIE

NEW APACHE-MODIFIED DDC

NOPE! GO TO THE FORUM ON STEPPED HULLS AND YOU WILL SEE THE PATENT RIGHT OUT OF THE PATENT OFFICE.

6. sharkeymarine

I think you may be confusing the patents. Steve Koss is developing a process of how a boat can be built. Not the shape or design of the bottom of the hull....

7. FRANKIEFRANKIE

MODIFIED DDC

NO I AM REFERRING TO THE CARTOON DRAWINGS WHICH SHOW THE DDC HULL PATENT.

8. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

Just wondering what the heck you're talking about

When I checked that website there was not much information at all there... Where are the links to the patent and forum?

--->>>FRANKIEFRANKIE
    I hope you don't mind me saying so but FYI...

On the internet the netiquette says that typing everything with Caps lock on is considered the equivalent to screaming/shouting, and also it's pretty hard and tiering to read.

Erik

9. FRANKIEFRANKIE

Re: Just wondering what the heck you're talking about

Sorry about the netiquette as this is new for me.

If you go back to Boat Design Forums under Powerboats and read the three pages on stepped hulls the one with the stars beside it you will see everything without going to another link as someone has posted on that site the verbage from the patent office.

10. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

No worries Frankie

We all start somewhere. I'll start by finding that webpage :)

Erik

11. Guest

Guest Guest

12. sharkeymarine

13. sharkeymarine

Oh yeah, to give you an idea of what kind of response the name Apache got, this thread is now up to 76 pages with an outstanding number of pics!!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Talk about some reading to do - 2200+ posts in that one thread!

15. Guest

Guest Guest

So (from rockstrmkr’s post at the oso thread) Apache was started by Ben Kramer in the 80’s. Bob Saccenti came in as an experienced racer as a partner. Then in 1987 Ben Kramer went to jail and the company was seized by the U.S. Government which is where Mark McManus came in. rockstrmkr says “Mark was the "idea man". He was the one that designed the cool padded dash and some of the neat finishing touches that made these boats so special. The company dissolved in the early 90's” but reading between the lines there it sounds like Mark was more of a detail person – did Mark come up with any new hull designs, or were these all the continued and made better from the original molds which Ben Kramer, Bob Saccenti, and the original partners designed? Also why exactly did Apache dissolve in the 90’s under Mark’s leadership? After the split a bunch of companies have purchased the Apache molds including Saber who apparently owns one set of 41’ Apache molds (I saw one at the dock recently and it was a pretty sweat boat). As far as I can tell Apache Racing Team, inc. bought those old molds and is producing the old models. Bob Saccenti meanwhile is doing a completely new design with Froberg and it looks like he’s actually changed the name of his “new 41’ Apache”. So you have the old apaches on one side (though I’m not sure who owns the actual Apache name if anyone) and two of the original partners who started apache building a new boat on the other side. That’s what I make of it anyway. Not sure how Bob got thrown out of the original equation, or if he would even have an interest in producing the old (but beautiful too) designs, though there are lots of interesting tidbits in that huge thread. Like a few pages in Dr.Santiago says that the first 41 was built by Aronow at Team USA with McManus supervising and was intended to be a Cigarette, but when Aronow sold Cigarette he kept the 41’ hull. He says that all 41 and 47 apaches were built by McManus “first under Aronow/Kramer and then under the USDOJ” and “the only Apaches built by Kramer/Saccenti were the 28, 33, 35, and 35 wide body”. So that starts to explain a little about the separation of Saccenti and the old larger Apaches at least. Anyway I’m not sure how accurate my summary is – still have a lot of that thread to read.

Ah – finally got midway through the thread where searace (with Hawk Power http://www.searace.com/ in the signature) says that he (they) now own the molds for the 41’ (or another set) and 47’ and have started building one under the Apache Racing Team, Inc. which they have trademarked.

That thread would make a great book. Lots of great pictures too. Still have a lot of piecing together though.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.