Anyway to make a homemade boat prop

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by 10571z, Jan 14, 2009.

1. 10571z

10571z Previous Member

Hey me and a friend are trying to make a cheap boat motor as a fun project. Anyway to make a prop? Or anything cheap we can use as one?

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

This may sound funny but the cheapest way to build an outboard is to find a discarded outboard and fix it up. It will have everything---- an engine, gears (reverse!), a prop, a starter, and so forth.
    You could build your own from scratch, but it would take a long time and cost a lot of money.
    No matter what you do, you'll learn something. But making your own boat prop out of anything but an old prop would be like making your own shoes (first find a cow...).
    Sure you could do it, but...

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yup done it tried everything under the sun . Had no money when I was 19 and had to make everything, even tried reducing dia from an old one , diastrous.

Worked a bit if you call the boat moving forwards slightly a success.

4. masalai

masalai masalai

buy a used one....

5. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

C'mon you guys. It's winter, nothings happening on the Icy shores so he's looking for a dream. Your bashing the 'stuffins' out of his ego.

Yes, you can make a wooden prop.
    When I was looking at building wooden oars, I ran across a thread on building a wooden prop. It was layers of hardwood, cut in the shape of a prop, and glued together in a staggerd pattern.
    Then he faired it and the end result looked very nice. You've seen Hardwood Bowls and Air Plane props made the same way.

Search till you find that artical and see if its what you want or have the tools to make.

I saw some Fan's for Automobile engines made of GRP. The feature was that the blades flatten out at high speed, which lessend the HP needs of the engine. IE: More speed for less fuel.
    So when you think of all the things you could make a prop out of, you want to remember that you still want a solid blade prop at high speed and you dont want something to flex until one of the blades come off.

I knew of a guy making a blade for a Snow blower out of old Car Hoods.
    He cut the hoods up in pieces, welded them together and wound up with a pretty ugly piece that wouldnt fit into his platform. OK!!! He just modified the platform until it did fit.
    It was so out of balance you really couldnt control it. There's an example of a good Idea that didnt work.

Think your idea out on paper before you ever start doing anything else. A sno blower you can walk away from. A boat you might have to swim away from.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Arrrrgh another septic who can't spell Whores not oars, but oars as in the wooden or other blade on a pole device for propelling a boat in a leisurely manner through the water by human of other means is a device related to boating forums - Oh yes this is a boating forum - sorry for the digression......

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

8. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

If you make a wood prop make it out of BLACK LOCUST.....................

9. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im all ears ,--your making break throughs in prop technology.

Now you mention it,-- maybe I should open up my mind.

I was going to make a nuclear submarine from two old bath tubs but I was held back by the propeller, But now I know what to do ,--bang a bit of metal against an old washing machine.

I was using the tub from the washing machine anyway as the nuclear turbine case.

11. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

"..breakthrough's in Prop technology...." [^]

Of course I never put any details in those suggestions saying anything about the finished product being as usable as a Prop from OMC.

There was another note up there from rasorinc who said to use Black Locust.

iZ is in Austrailia, and I think they have something down there called "Iron Wood" that might be better.

I'm off for the night.

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Nah Ironwood is no good you need to be able to work it on a forge and temperature is critical, too much and it burns, and too little and it splinters....

Or you can put it in a lathe and shape it with diamond cutters - need quite a few, as the nots/granules in the Ironwood tend to shatter the diamonds

13. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Unbelievable! I've never seen Ironwood but I've heard all those things.

How about BaseBall bats? It ought to solve all those Broken bat put-outs!

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

he he he I think he fell for that one Mas.

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Too heavy, as you ******* seem to be muscle bound but lacking strength, and Frosty being a Pom, does not know very much, but likes to be cheeky every so often..... but grace is with him as he bought a boat from Aussy - not a proper boat, but a "gin-palace"....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.