Think's he's a boat designer....

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by woodywd, Apr 15, 2013.

1. woodywd

woodywd Junior Member

Revising thread

Please see new thread. Thank you

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Posting a side view would be useful

Looks a bit like a scaled down version of my Skoota 20

What material were you thinking to use for the prototype?

What speed? what carrying capacity?

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

nice renderings. Cast Aluminum? not very practical, how about cold formed from sheet Al? Similar to the way most fishing boats are made now. All fiberglass would not be bad either, heavy compared to Al but not prone to corrosion.

4. Kailani

Kailani Senior Member

Not much freeboard or buoyancy in the bow. Could slam the nose into waves and kick up a great deal of spray on the windshield.

5. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I asked for a side view as from the rendering the freeboard looked low. The sideview confirmed that, which will limit its use.

It looks a hugely complex boat to build, thus very expensive and probably too heavy for efficient high speeds. Not sure about the wave interactions between the three hulls. They may well cause drag/slamming and its manouverability needs studying.

no I am not a builder, just a multihull designer with over 35 years experience.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

6. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I'm an architect, and I'm playing around with a similar concept. I like your work very much, nice Industrial Design.

My design is much simpler and looks very crude compared to yours, but I think I can build it. I agree with the complexity statements and about getting the boat (bow and hull) higher off the water.

One step which forces me to redesign based on simplicity is the building of scale models. I can draw and conceive much more complex things than I am usually willing to fabricate, but maybe 3D printing will eventually change all that.

I have a flat deck all the way (fishing first) around a center console for two, with seating for two more behind them on plastic lawn chairs if need be. I want to build a scale model and test out a few theories before I post anything.

Good luck, and keep on working on it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.