Rhino 3D

Discussion in 'Software' started by futuredesigner, Sep 13, 2006.

1. futuredesigner

futuredesigner Junior Member

I am thinking about buying an education license for Rhino 3D and i was wondering what type of Rhino i should buy. There is Flamingo, Bongo, or Penguin. I would like to create images like those in the image below. Which type of Rhino would be best for designing it.

[​IMG]

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

I’m not sure if you can get a student license but I would go for Rhino Marine. Flamingo, Bongo, Penguin, and Marine are plug-ins for Rhino.
    Gary :D

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Have you downloaded the free trial version? It only allows 20 or so "saves". If you just experiment with it, (has good tutourials) it runs unlimitedly.

Just Google "Rhino" and you should be able to find it.

TGoz

4. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Package Thoughts

Future,

I have all those pieces related to Rhino and of the group, here are the products I would go for as a starter set:

Rhino
    Flamingo

These are absolutes as the Rhino render is OK, but not a full ray trace package such as one you would want.

RhinoMarine (if you are serious about hull design) You can always add this later as well at full student pricing advantage once you get a handle on Rhino itself.This packsage will be fairly obtuse for you untill you get pretty far into the business of what to do with the software, the principals of hull design and the need to push further into the whole world of boats.

Penguin... A simple rendering package for a specific style niche. I've used it perahps 30 times in the last year, which is not a lot compared to Flamingo

Bongo... very useful if you want to do animation of Rhino imagery without going to another package. I've used Bongo a lot lately as I have gotten into the anmation of my design work in anticipation of a new website. The call here is that you can always add it later, but it;snot important in order to get established with Rhino.

You may enjoy a bit of a monetary benefit for nabbing the whle suite of packages under the student purchase plan and if you have the cash to do that, it makes sense. Take your tiem looking at each one in turn, because there is a ton to learn in just the Rhino and Flamingo environment before any of the stuff like Bongo can be of any use.

5. futuredesigner

futuredesigner Junior Member

Thanks Chris.
    To start i downloaded the exucutive rhino software. I tried to play around with it to see if i could figure it out, but failed miserably. Can anyone help me learn the basics of rhino or to the point where i can start to design my own boat? It would be greatly appreciated.

6. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

On the Web

Future...

There are literally hundreds of tutorials on the Internet for everything from how to draw a 3D finger to a full-tilt, 19th century wooden ship. The Rhino site has dozens of tutorials online, there is a full-on, Level 1 Training Manual, though I'm not certain that it is available to demo users.

I'd suggest that you draw as many different things as you can and save the boat business until you have a sound understanding of the tools, the methods and the technical capacities of the software. There is a tutorial for lofting a simple canoe hull, so don't feel like it's all about rubber duckies and flashlights when you first start out.

Also, on this very site, there's a great resource file for marine objects of all kinds. You can download the Rhino native 3dm files and goof around with them to see a few of the things that the software can do and you'll be in the nautical realm.

I'm sure there are several guys on this forum who'd be willing to send you a sample hull file if you'd like to see some different styles. All you have to do is ask.

Take your time, explore the tools available to you and remember that you are working in 3 dimensional space.

Most of all, have a blast.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.