anyone to help on freeship hull fairing procedure??

Discussion in 'Software' started by yades, Sep 7, 2006.

1. yades

yades Senior Member

having difficulties in spotting the right procedure on hull fairing....tutorials do not seem helpful at all
    tks

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

turn on curvature graph for some curve in the area of concern, then nudge the control points until the curvature graph looks nice and continuous.

3. Dan S

Dan S Junior Member

Yades,

Marshmat has given you one way; another is to use the Gaussian curvature view.

4. yades

yades Senior Member

that means the procedure is not automatically done like in maxsurf but requires a manual approach based on a visual assessement of the results? seems to me a bit akward ?! is'n it? i recon the software should assessed that the line processed is faired enough.......:confused: or may be I have not quite understood what you really mean

tks

5. yades

yades Senior Member

having the control net on which menu/command do you work with on a step by step basis in order to fair e.g. a water line. :confused:
    It seems to me a bit difficult to assess the fairness of a line (hence of a surface) based on a simple visual assessment of a gaussian representation

tks yr help

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

That's the difference between a good free program, and a good $5000 program.
    If you think a bit when making controlcurves, it is very quick and easy to get a perfectly fair hull with the curvature graphs. Gaussian view is really handy in areas where there are hollows, or transitions between flat and curved areas.

7. yades

yades Senior Member

fine now is clear enough. If I require automatically performed hull fairing (i.e. activating a function smoothing the control points and consequently the reference hull line) I wd need a product like maxsurf or similar, isnt'it?
    Now it's clear enough

tks yrs

yades

8. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Using a small number of control points will produce a quite smooth surface. If you are trying to precisely duplicate an already existing design you may need to use a lot of points and use the techniques already mentioned.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.