Anyone owned a Simpson Formula 1 Catamaran?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I've noticed lately the molds for the Simpson Formula one cat have come up on Ebay. Has anyone sailed one of these boats and have any observations?
    I've been onboard a formula one and was quite impressed with the space for a small boat.

2. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Corley, if you see a $ in it be warned yachting is a tough market, everyone wants European quality at a Chinese price.
    I worked for a boat builder that made a small fortune but only because he started with a large one !
    I won't even repair these days as its too hard to get paid.

However if you get it for the right price to build yourself a boat go for it ! If it wasn't for the transport costs I would have a serious look myself, with female moulds a cut n shut stretch or spline is a piece of cake !
    RR

3. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I'm not really concerned with making lots of $'s and I agree that it wont be a super earner. I have a succesful business in an unrelated field but the winter months leave me with a lot of spare time. I have underutilised factory space which would be adequate for erecting the mold and building a small catamaran like the formula one. Its all a question of dollars really if I can acquire the mold set for a small amount it could be worthwhile what I'm thinking of doing is building a boat for the family and maybe a boat for someone else to help amortise the costs.

My Formula 40 trimaran is not going to be much good for even spartan cruising and by the time I put safety equipment for double handed ocean racing and basic watermaker there is no payload left for any luxuries.

5. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Ah well amortising costs is a good lurk ! In Melbourne in the mid eighties I worked for a consortium that tooled up and built about 4 Davidson one toners (one each) then shut up shop and wrote of the losses, neat !
    I would get the specs for the Backslash 8.2 from Boatcraft Pacific and stretch it to 8.5 to fit the NZ 8.5 rule. A half meter stretch is nothing, in a female mould you can use foam and VE resin for a quality yet economic build.

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Reuben do you know if anyone who is up for a project over there? I was looking at the Lex Nicol Tri "ben bolt" on boatpoint recently it's suffered engine damage while on its mooring and is now on the market for 30k seems like it could be good value for a 40' performance trimaran pending a thorough assesment if someone was willing to put in the work.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9647332

7. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Heh Heh Heh, was looking at it myself only this morning and wondering if I should look at the replacement cost of the diesel !
    It looks like a very good price, not much of a cruiser though 400kg payload !
    Still am curious !
    Trouble with over here is attitude to Multis is still in the '70s You would probably have to take it somewhere else to get a good price. Still looks immaculate for the money, will have to see how good the mooring is coz thats worth a few bob too !
    RR

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I was looking at the nicol tri and thinking an outboard with a pod would probably be a lighter solution and give some payload back. I'm committed to my other trimaran project now but felt the boat was too expensive at 80k because resale on non folding tri's is dreadful and why I went down the path of an extremely utilitarian racing boat the value just doesnt seem to be there for a large cruiser/racer trimaran and the extra fitout they require. I'll still lose money when I sell the boat but hopefully not as much.

I'm often left wondering though how much crap is necessary to go cruising if your willing to live a simple life while cruising you can live well and not need too much stuff. I guess the real answer is all that extra stuff is required to convince the wife to come onboard :D.

9. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Hmm chop out diesel and replace with 4 stroke outboard and a big chunk of payload comes home !

10. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Well wife not wanted this end just an "entertainment" berth !
    See we're on the same page motor wise !
    If the mooring is any good I may just look at this boat, cruising is like camping, sometimes less is more, the value is in the getaway !

11. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I think its strange how attitudes have changed now its multihulls that get staterooms and every bit of junk under the sun a far cry from the 70's when multi's were the most simple boats owned by people who were too poor to afford a decked out monohull.

I'm not sure all that extra stuff really makes life more enjoyable on board it just brings all the chores from home along. Not to mention the poor sailing characteristics and heavy diesel engines these boats cart around in the stern now, all more junk and thruhulls to cause problems and cost you more money.

12. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Exactly, the age of the condomaran is upon us !

13. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

F1 are a nice little boat and was what got me started on my previous cat.
    I couldn't afford the initial outlay for a formula one at the time and thought them to small for what I wanted, so built a 9m Ground Effect ( the F1 and Backslash's bigger sister) instead

At Launch
    [​IMG]

Later getting a cabin and full queen sized bed added
    [​IMG]

Extra WLL which did improve her sailing ability
    [​IMG]

and finished product, last NQ cruise before sailing her off to New Caledonia

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

The Formula 1, Backslash and Ground Effect are IMO Roger Simpsons very best work !
    RR

15. aussiebushman

aussiebushman Innovator

For interest, I built Simpson's Sign Wave, a WRC strip version of the 9 meter designs he had used elsewhere. Lovely boat, lots of interior space due to the knuckle hulls and great sailing.

The GRP moulds should be OK but watch out for some other problems because there were several design issues where the construction just could not be done per the drawings - like the forward beam and the access into the forward berths. Neverless, Simpson is/was an excellent designer.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.