Anyone know what these tools are?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by jrbackus, Oct 1, 2010.

1. steff

steff Junior Member

groove planes

Hi everyone, I am not so sure what is all about, a sanding block or the pics in questions? The plans have a main reason - create a groove, however since electric router are widely used, those manual tools are getting dusty. However with a difficult grain or a difficult location, those groove planes may have still their use and can produce smooth and precise grooves.
    They can be pushed or pulled, as you like. Blades are usually carbon steel and can be honed to extreme sharpness. The hole in the center is for the wood chips and to control the movement of the plane.
    Attached a pictures of the traditional use, the black one is made of cast iron and an updated version by Veritas.

Fair winds.
    Steff

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Atta boy Steff! You win the Sixty Soggy Seegar Butts!
    Absolute facts.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Great thread. Thanks!

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...I had a quick look only at the pics, and saw them as some sort of rigging tensioner, on closer look you can see the post of the bit. I have three hand routers myself, yet did not see these as such on first look...probably cos my ones are different shapes, the design of the shape sort of sent the mind to rigging....

Nice pick up there mate....

...any more funny pics, this could be a good subject to continue....i have some funny tools that most people have forgotten about.

5. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Can you imagine taking 1/4" off the lap's of a 30'er? Holy Cow, just think of the Labor cost way back then?
    Hoo boy.

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

thudpucker,

When we made clinkers, it was quite "normal" to cut the edge with a side plane (rebate)...and really it does not take long .....it is just the way it was...no big deal.