what length mizzen boom for a Bristol 40?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by souljour2000, Sep 18, 2016.

1. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

Hello Everyone...been awhile since I checked in. Got a hold of a '79 Bristol 40 yawl that was needing attention and missing among other things (like the wenches) well,the mizzen boom is missing and I am wondering what size boom I should get if I can locate one in a yard somewhere that might have been a main boom from a 20-footer or the like. Info on her says her E(y) is 6.7 but I'm not likely to find one exactly that length...would one about 7 feet make much difference..any other considerations?....I want to sell her as a solid project boat to someone who can do right by her but trying to get her looking like herself again in the meantime...Appreciate any advice thanks...

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Sorry, but you can't nick a boom off a 20'er and use it on the mizzen of a big boat. The spars on the bigger boat have to be several times stronger. Basically, the rig of a 20'er has to be strong enough to flip the 20' hull, and the mizzen on the 40'er has to be strong enough to flip the 40' hull. In your case, think about 20 times as strong as trailer-sailer. The mizzen sail will also be cut a lot flatter and will need much higher spar forces to hold shape.

4. souljour2000

Good feedback...So basically need to find a mizzen boom from a big boat...makes alot of sense...

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The exact extrusion used, is probably still available from Dwyer Mast. Give them a call and see what you can get. You don't need a big boat mizzen boom, you do need the appropriate extrusion for your boat and another design may not be suited at first glance.

BTW, my big boat has also lost its wenches and I do miss them, as they danced around naked while I was aboard. As they aged and things started to sag, it was necessary to remove them from public consumption, so now they only do private parties for old guys.

6. souljour2000

Ha Ha...good to hear from you Paul...I will get on that website...have never checked Dwyers site...did not know they were that comprehensive...thanks .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.