Anyone know the difference of interior size of Searunner 34 tri vs Marples 35 tri?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by magentawave, Jun 20, 2016.

1. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

I did once see a photo of an aft cockpit 31. I can't fathom why. The whole boat is designed around the cockpit being in the centre with that big board case being the mast compression post and the place for water tanks and heavy stores. Also you don't have to go on deck to reef.

2. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Sorry if I was unclear Phil. I was suggesting keeping the Searunner centerboard and center cockpit in the 31 and 34 and swapping the interior arrangements back to front to a similar layout as the Cross 10.5. Feet forward berths starting in the stern cab, aft head etc..... Having had a 31 the space could accommodate the change.

3. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

4. magentawave

magentawave Senior Member

Interesting as I didn't know Norm Cross had a center cockpit design.

I understand that the mini keel avoids the complication of a centerboard trunk and loss of interior space, but which would you prefer to have if faced with having to claw off a lee shore in high winds? A mini keel or a centerboard? I'm thinking centerboard...

5. cavalier mk2

The Cross 10.5 is plenty deep enough to claw off a lee shore. A keel has a advantage in that a bump in close to the breakers is less likely to cause damage, on a grounding side load boards tend to snap.

For myself both is the answer. I've put a daggerboard trunk in my Nicol for windward work and am going back to the shoal main keel with some shallow float fins like stock for shoal water use and grounding protection on all 3 hulls. The Cross style keel easily is deep enough to claw to wndward in blows. This boat passes Searunners, CCs and Cross trimarans of the same size so I'm not looking to replace it but if I wanted a fast build boat to bang around the world I'd make the 10.5 over the searunner for a bunch of reasons. If I felt the need to hotrod I'd put a centerboard trunk in the keel below the floorboards of a Cross similar to the old CCA monohulls.

6. magentawave

And how does the centerboard trunk of a CCA monohull differ than a Searunner trunk?

7. cavalier mk2

Ah Magenta, I think you've already donned your Searunner Rose tinted glasses but I digress....

I'm also as clear as mud asking any multihull person to think about old monohulls. What I was talking about is a centerboard trunk primarily contained within the Cross cruising keel. This is possible as they are deeper than the Searunner stub keel. The shape of the Cross hull also give a certain depth to the bilge beneath the floorboards, if more trunk height is desired one can get a good sized trunk without impacting the internal cabin.

Putting a trunk like this in a boat is easier to accomplish in a new build as part of the setup before the planking goes on. To put a retractable board in a existing boat I'd recommend a daggerboard trunk but a centerboard trunk could be put in off center under a seat for minimal impact on the arrangement.

8. magentawave

I like the looks of Searunners and I know many have cruised successfully, but I've never sailed one so no rose colored glasses here. Just asking some questions...

9. cavalier mk2

I like them but would do the interior layout switch I mentioned. The saloon forward also lets the off watch see where you are going.

Going down a quick list- The center cockpits do take more spray. I hate the fiberglass chine construction as it adds lots of weight. The underwings that angle up towards the amas for wave clearance actually pound more because they present a flat surface to the wave tops as the boat heels. A straight underwing will present a angle when heeled. Horstman's and Cross tris have this. It is also lighter as a separate flat bunk panel doesn't need to be used.

Good condition with the trunk is essential, they tend to rot because the construction compartmentalization and divided layout tend to reduce fore and aft ventilation.

All that said one in good shape is a great cruiser that will take you anywhere you want to go. The ama shape makes for a more lively/ bouncy ride than a rounded V ama. Out in the real world of cruising loads, old sails and less than perfect bottom paint they seem to be faster than the CCs. A cruising Cross is a bit slower but a racing Cross is faster.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.