Anyone know anything about this design? (24' trimaran from Washington)

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by FirstLight, Aug 22, 2013.

1. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Firstlight,

Glad you are going forward.
    Have you seen the Gougeon book of boatbuilding?
    They have a chapter on their practical method for designing tortured ply. Proven with multiple boats they have built.
    One modification of the method I have heard of is to add a narrow flat panel down the keel line, attaching it (stitch and glue) to get a wider hull beam and then torturing the panels as normal. This allows more displacement using the tortured method.

Looking forward to "more"....

2. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

^^^

Aaarrrghh!

Do you want to go out sailing with your wife and small kids,
    Or do you want to spend all your time in a shed, fiddling with materials?

Before you do anything more in the way of building, buy some sailboat.
    Get out on the water with your wife and kids!

Find a Hobie20 or something like that,
    and spend a few hours making it look OK.

;)

3. FirstLight

FirstLight Junior Member

Blackburn.. Fortunately my wife loves sailing! We've got an older cruising ketch we cruise together around the Southeast and the Bahamas. We met sailing in the Caribbean. She supports the build and me getting into tinker mode. In that respect I'm a lucky man!

Upchurch, I've got the Blue bible and have read it cover to cover at some point or another. Also downloaded the Russ brown e-book today which has some other really good pointers in it. Especially for aesthetic appeal.

We bought the 2x6's for the strong back today and are going to build a 24' strong back on Wednesday.. And then the silliness begins...

The funny thing is that I've been itching to do a nice build for years. I tried building a few good size models to get the yaya's out but to no avail. It feels like it just has to be done.. A calling if you will :)

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

You know I have thought several times about building a Crowther 24 without a cabin.
    It could probably be narrowed up in the main hull if it was to be an open "daysailing" boat.
    Less stuff to haul around if it is not an out and out cruiser.

You probably have see the thread.

5. FirstLight

FirstLight Junior Member

Crowther

I would think slimming the hulls would make sense since you are lightening the required displacement.

Something about that little cabin that is sort of endearing. What a classic design!

6. zia sail

zia sail newbie

Adventure 24

First light, yes it am building one now. I bought the molds from Mark Zollitsch. I think only 2 or 3 were made in Bellingham Wa. I have made the 2 Amas and will infuse the main hull as soon as it's warm enough here in Northern New Mexico. I am using epoxy resin infusion, with CF in the main hull. After several discussions with Mark about his 2 large windsurfer rigs, I am modifying it for a more conventional fractional rig, prob Hobie 18 or similar. I am happy to share the project as it progresses.

7. Westfield 11

Westfield 11 Senior Member

8. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

9. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

I'm surprised oldsailer hasn't got in here plugging the Buccaneer 24.
    There are several threads on here about it.
    Cheap plans, easy build, legendary boat, what more can you ask ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.