Shroud Tensioning - Tabernacle

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by polypenguin, Jul 27, 2012.

1. polypenguin

polypenguin Junior Member

Hi,

I've been figuring quite some time on how to get my mast to tabernacle forwards for running under bridges.

My dilema has been keeping the shrouds in line so they 1. allow the mast to tilt forwards 2. keep the mast supported 3. dont have to use pelican hooks or lever for tensioning

My shrouds hit the cabin at the rear of the mast due to slightly swept spreaders, which would not facilitate the mast dropping down forwards.

So I've been trying to figure out how to detnsion the rid easily to allow it to go down forwards.

I finally realized an easy way is to add lines that can pull backwards on the shrouds at a midpoint, which would provide the running tension on the shrouds, and cuold be loosened to de-tension the rig to lower the mast.

Anyone seen this before? Similar to the physics behind jumping the halyard at the mast.

1" of pull would tighten the shrouds by about 1/8" depending on the point of pull. Toggles would be necassry at the bottom of shrouds and would have to watch the chain plates to make sure the sideways force doesn't bend or otherwise affect them.

Any comments??? Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.