anyone have

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by longliner45, Jan 26, 2008.

1. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

does anyone have a nice sextant for sale??longliner

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Be a man John and tack a string to a protractor and have a go at it.

3. longliner45

if I wanted to get beat up ,,,,,I just would have stayed home,,longliner

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Go to E-bay and search for 'sextant'. There's about 150 of them.

5. longliner45

thanks ..any brand I should look for?

6. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

I think C-Plath (sp) may have stopped making them. They were good. I had a mid-sized Heath ex- RN sextant.

Good hunting Longliner.

Tim

7. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Try the Japanese Tamaya brand if you want precision engineering. My one has zero index error, one less thing to have to correct too!

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You Ok over there Lubber, been snowing a bit I hear.

Hey you might be interested in a new invention called a GPS . Wow this thing is a *****, you would'nt beleive it.

9. longliner45

ya gotta see my point of view,,I work for the power company ,,I see people who are not prepard ,,every day,,,,powers out..we are freezing,,,,,(were is your kerosene heater ,or wood stove?)the power is out I cant see( were is your candles or oil lamp)?? yes tecnology is great ,,if all support systems are in place,I just want to be able to navigate ,,anywhere ,,any time ,besides my cheap *** can get buy with a 2 or 3 hundred dollar sextant ,till I can spend 2 or 3 grand on some nav stuff,,,I will have 2 grand tied up in a bottom machine ,,cause,we are gonna be fishing off this boat,,,longliner

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I thought you had to be able to see the horizon to make use of a $#$tant

Hey theres this new invention called Batteries ,--its a ***** of a thing . It can make electricity anywhere unbeleivable

11. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Get out Frosty, no way you can have electricity anywhere you want to!

Next you will be telling me that you can store it in a box!! Ha Ha, and some people reckon we can fly too!

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

No its true I tell you. I buy them at the supermarket. Its not in a box at all that would be silly but in a tube thing. We got loads of them here Im surprised you hav'nt heard of them.

13. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

:mad: All that &**&% tax money we paid to get those satellites up there & you want a sextant???? If you want to be that "retro", build one!
    :D :D :D :D :D
    I suppose you want to borrow my copy of Duttons also?:)

14. longliner45

govt facillilitys are really poorly operated ,,most times loran towers used to go out regularly,,,,I dont want to depend on the govt for anything,,,,,,no pun intended but look at the New Orleans resque operation,,how could that have been botch so bad ,,cmon ,,reporters getting there in 4 wheel drive trucks ,,but military vehicals couldent ,,,,,no helos no food and water for weeks,cant count on no one ,,,,,,,,,longliner

15. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

I would still take the *@*tant to sea, who knows when the sats will be down. I was off New Caledonia once (during the Gulf War) and my 40 footer was showing 70 knots on the display, kind of fast I thought, so abandoned the rest of the messages too. Upon arrival into Noumea, the HarbourMaster informed me that we were at war with Iraq, and the satelites had been shut down for civy use.......the *@*tant was not actually used then, but it was still nice as a backup to the Furuno RDF (that I still have too, oh yeah Frosty, it does use batteries!!!!).

Just on another note, has anyone out there on planet earth actually been able to consistantly get anything better than about 5 miles using one on a yacht? I sat once in very calm waters in Fiji (Maloola Lie Lie island) and you can see the horizon from the anchorage, tried for days to do any better but to no avail. I reckon those that calaim to do 2-3 miles regularly are up themselves. However, 5 miles certainly takes you from navitating to piloting, so visuals come back into the game, and they are very hard to beat. Just wondering.......