Dix 43b Pilot

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by ian-edwards, Feb 5, 2006.

1. ian-edwards

ian-edwards New Member

Hi.

I am considering building a Dix 43 Pilot in steel - anyone out there have experience of this - I would like to know things like how much help you can expect from Dix, how clear the plans/instructions are, is the information on fitting out systems and interior prety comprehensive or is that down to your own choice? how well does the completed boat sail? Any info greatly appreciated.

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I don't know his steel designs very well, but I would say that Dudley Dix is very helpful, he answers emails promptly, the drawings are very detailed and clear, he seems to have given "everything" a thought. I have the drawings for some of his plywood designs and we are making cnc-cut kits very easily from these drawings.

3. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

I forget the names, but there were some guys in North Wales, near bangor building his boats. They had 3 to build/paint when I was there. I'll try to remember their names. Go to the BMF site. They maybe there.

4. ian-edwards

ian-edwards New Member

Yes - used to be Ocean Metal boats - I'm going up there to have a look.
    Thanks for your reply.

5. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Can't go wrong with old Dix.

I have built a few hull of his designs in raduis chine - Dix 65, 57 and 38 (which I inccidently commisioned in 1991).He is a real helpful person and will not BS you in any way. One of the few real gentlemen around....

Oh, BTW, his plans are extremely builder's friendly:cool:

6. boltonprofiles

boltonprofiles Senior Member

I have found them very helpful and professional and I reinforce everything that has been said here so far.

7. steven prince

steven prince New Member

Ian

Just seen your picture on Dix's design. Was wondering how you where getting on. Was also wondering if it would be possible to come and see you project and speak to you about your project. I'm in the early stages of getting started, I've picked my boat (vickers 45 AC), but I have changed it quite a bit from the original drawing's as I'm having it cut for me by someone like Bolton Profiles, at the moment I think I'll have them cut it.

I live in the Midlands in the UK and haven't managed to speak to any homebuilds face to face yet. I did speak to the Ocean Metal Boat Company in Wales.

A useful link if you don't have it yet is www.metalboatsociety.org there forum pages have a lot of useful info.

Regards
    Steven Prince

8. ian-edwards

ian-edwards New Member

Hi Steve,

Sorry for late reply (over a year ! ) but I have been busy boat building and not looked at this site since I took the decision to build a Dix 43. All going well and you would be more than welcome to come and take a look - we are in Grindley near Stafford.

Cheers

Ian

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.