B-25 fractional rig - masthead chute worth the price?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Brian Fredrik, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Brian Fredrik

Brian Fredrik Junior Member

Thinking about improving our downwind performance in PHRF racing. Do the experts think going to a masthead chute will give enough downwind edge to offset the 6 second hit we expect from our PHRF fleet? Also, would it be wise to create a new rudder...shorter chord length, deeper? (we would take another 6 second hit for the new rudder). I like the idea for the added downwind fun of it and am trying to sell it to the guy who will spend the money. Thanks

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

The MH kite on the B25s has been done with good results, especially if you sail in light air a lot of the time. One sails out of my club and does well with the big kite. Only a 6 sec hit means you have to be faster by 12 sec/mile on the downwind legs of a W/L course. That's 3 to 4 boatlengths at hull speed. It seems to me that the big kite is worth that.

Do you get a longer pole as well, or only the additional hoist for the hit?

I don't think a new rudder is worth 6 sec/mi all around. Is your rudder an original or a "mark 2"?

You can contact Leif (the designer) and talk to him about it. http://www.bravurayachts.com/ I believe he did a mod to one of the boats to add a bowpole (Melges 24 style) with MH kites.

I think the e-mail on the link is problematic. It would be best to call if you want to get an answer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.