I need advise on a stable sailboat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by scotnyfl, Nov 20, 2008.

1. scotnyfl

scotnyfl New Member

I'm looking for advice on a fairly stable sailboat in the 24 to 30 ft range... I have very limited sailing experience, only owning a 16' "Pt Jude" previously and of course cost is a consideration. I am limited to a used boat.. Thank You

2. starchaser

starchaser New Member

I am going to build a thunderbird 26' its not that hard join the club pay $55.00 for joining and plans. Its a very stable design and used for raceing.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  3. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Scott there are a number of boats in that size range that are 'stable.' Where at in Florida are you and I will try to find some listings of boats I would recommend that are nearby.

4. scotnyfl

scotnyfl New Member

Thanks Scott... I'm in Hernando Beach, near Spring Hill, about an hour north of Tampa (34607)... I'm looking for one that would allow me to spend a weekend out or an overnight at least... speed is not the consideration , a stable not to tippy boat is.... Oh the depth of the channel is about 5' at high tide... There are a number of sailboats in the canals nearby, evan as large as 50'
    Thank You
    John

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Scott,

You may also want to check and make sure there arn't any bridges that you need to look out for on yor way to the sailing grounds, but these are a couple of boats I saw that look like they might work. I would recommend syating with a slightly larger boat than 24' since smaller boats tend to be less stable due to the smaller amount of ballast. All of these are around 30' and price in at about $20,000. I am sure in this market that you can find some better deals, but this is what I came up with quickly.

http://www.sailboattraderonline.com/find/listing/1987-O'DAY-Sloop-93777967
    http://www.sailboattraderonline.com/find/listing/1979-TARTAN-YACHTS-Sloop-93777942
    http://www.sailboattraderonline.com/find/listing/1980-Prout-Ranger-27'-92791163

The catamaran is by far going to be the most stable boat of the bunch, and will do better in shallow water since it won't have a keel, but it is also the most expensive.

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Every well designed sailboat is stable. Tippiness isn't instability. It may even indicate greater ultimate stability.
    Typically, the novice sailor tends to buy a boat with a flat bottom, one with a lot of interior room.
    The flat bottom feels very stable so all is well until the boat gets tossed around by waves, or is pushed over to the point where the hard chine produced by the flat bottom is the new "bottom". Then the boat has a deep vee shape.
    Stability has many aspects. The most important qwuestion to ask is where is the boat to be sailed? In protected waters, a flat bottom can be better. At sea offshore, a more rounded bottom can be better.

Alan

7. gouloozeyachts

gouloozeyachts Junior Member

Stability, cheap, reasonable fast (I assume) roomy, etc. Where have I heard that all before? I know that was I long time ago and than from a few other people. Now do not let the whole world select for you. Too many ‘knowledgeable’ guys around with their preconceptions. Get a new boat for the cost of a second hand one! How? Get some plans and build her yourself.
    Contradiction 1: Stock plans are reasonably priced but have little room for improvements of building methods and/or materials. (In addition, you want the best).
    Contradiction 2: Custom drawn plans are expensive and the cost is a fixed percentage of the assumed building or final cost. Therefore, the designer will not give you the most economical solution.
    As said before, I wanted a yacht and being chronically without real spending money; I designed and built the economical way. This was some 50 odd years ago and remembering those days, I honed my experiences and am now in the position to give real technical advice (if you want it). At least I think I am qualified.

8. bistros

bistros Previous Member

That may be the reality you lived in many years ago, but in North America right now you can't build a boat for the price you can buy used. The economic meltdown in the US has got great boats available at bargain prices - less than half the cost of materials to build.

I know this is the wrong place to say this (there are a lot of people heavily invested in building and design here), but it is a great time to take advantage of the economy. I don't listen to my own advice - I built a boat last year!

I think Alan White had some pretty sage advice - look hard at your venue to help refine design choices. I've gone up and down the ICW as well as offshore, and the boats needed for each differ greatly. 5' draft is really pushing it for the ICW - you WILL ground out and you better be good at backing off mud & sand. You can spend an eternity waiting for bridges as well, so performance under motor and slow speed maneuvering is really important. Having the mast in a tabernacle and being able to quickly drop it and raise it without assistance can greatly increase range in the ICW.

Go to local marinas and see what is popular with people doing the same kind of activity as you plan. Generally good design triumphs and establishes itself. Picking a popular design also can guarantee resale value in a bad market.

--
    Bill

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.