wing masts and the like on skiffs?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by wind_apparent, Apr 24, 2008.

1. wind_apparent

wind_apparent wind driven speed addict

would a wingmast rig (think "A" class cat) work on a monohull or foiler hull very well? :p

2. limeyus

limeyus Junior Member

Yes!
    very well.
    only issue will be controlling the power with less righting moment than a cat

3. Ramona

Ramona Senior Member

I saw this and thought you were joking. Wing masts, rotating and over rotating have been used in mono hulls for 40 years or more. Before aluminium was used in masts, development classes used spruce an used saw cuts in the leading edge to promote for and aft bending. Balsa was also used on leading eges as well.
    There really isn't all that much that is really new in sailing.

4. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

NS14, MG14, Tasar and Farr 3.7 all use over-rotating wing masts. The NS14 and MG14 are development classes that allow fixed or wing masts and wing masts are universally used.
    My NS14 :

Attached Files:

5. wind_apparent

it's not the rotating part that i'm worried about, I know that wingmasts have been used on everything for ever, its the sail shape and design i'm talking about. very skinny and tall, very efficiant in the windage and drag. not short and boxy like most monohulls, but taller and rectangular like a beach cat. Would righting moment be the only issue?

6. gggGuest

gggGuest ...

Plenty of those about too... But (albeit with a few *very* honourable exceptions) the US is something of a desert when it comes to leading edge boats.

7. wind_apparent

yah, tell me about it, but my wife won't move to Australia, so I haveto use the web to try to keep up........but we have NASCAR and Football, so :rolleyes: :D

8. Ramona

Ramona Senior Member

Nacra cats and the like have square top sails and I thought extreme. Check out the mainsails on the current crop of 18 foot skiffs. The top batten comes off the top section of the mast and is reminiscent of gaff rigs. The top batten top is far higher than the mast top. I would have thought having a taller carbon mast and an elliptical shaped top mainsail would be more efficient. 18 foot skiffs have enormous budgets so tend to be over the top.

My Finn has a wing mast too. With the Finn however the wing section is to assist in side and for and aft stiffness which is not possible on the old tapered sections.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Check out the main on this 18:

Attached Files:

10. Ramona

Ramona Senior Member

Nice picture. Main is not as extreme as the boats I watched on TV over the weekend though, at least that main has a slight elliptical look about it

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Did you see how the "peak" sweeps aft? I'd bet this was a modified sail to test that sweep back. The owner, Thomas Jundt, works with one of the best sailmakers in Europe....

12. wind_apparent

thats crazy, but free sail area is free sail area i guess...when is the new 18' foiler hull going to be released? I did the math for a tall *** high aspect rig and found that i don't like the way it works out, so back to conventional thinking:mad: , tanks for the input from everyone........

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

High Aspect isn't everything:

Attached Files:

14. wind_apparent

I have moved all this stuff to a "4meter monofoiler" thread in the sailboats section, thank you........

15. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Again, the NS14/MG14:

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.