Anyone ever heard of the boswell skiff? Please speak up; plans wanted

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by secondmouse1990, Dec 10, 2011.

1. secondmouse1990

secondmouse1990 New Member

The boswell skiff is a boat that only appears to exist on youtube.
    the owner also calls it an elwood skiff.
    It is also labeled a crab skiff.

It is apparently made in several sizes, including at least 14, 15 16 and 17 feet loa.

It is very efficient, the 17 footer with a 6 foot beam planing with 10 hp.

Someone, likely the builder, has a youtube channel, boztec1, and has posted several videos of this boat but has not replied to either of my two comments despite me subscribing to his channel.

I posted one an hour after he put up a video asking if plans exist, and two hours after that he puts up another video giving a brief look around of the boat but no reply to my comment.

His videos show it at lake onadaga in upstate new york, and on the pokomke river.

2. secondmouse1990

secondmouse1990 New Member

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The pictures suggest that it is a flat bottomed skiff that is wide on the bottom, and built to a minimum weight. Nothing remarkable about that. That it can move well with small horsepower is because it has a lot of bottom and is light weight over all.

Any number of designers that frquent this forum can duplicate the plans for such a boat. It will be simple to build and involve only modest cost.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Crab and clamming skiffs have been around for a long time and as Messabout suggests, nothing especially unique. I as well as likely every other designer have designs like this.

[​IMG]

This is Digger a 17' version of the classic clamming skiff.

5. Outlaw45

Outlaw45 Senior Member

BUMP. has anyone ever built par's 17ft digger? would really like to see one. thanks

Outlaw

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There are several running around. As with most "working skiffs", little fanfare has been made about the freshly built "yacht" in some fisherman's garage. She's not fancy, doesn't have a swim platform with bikini clad teenagers on it, she'd limited in top speed and water conditions, so finding an owner with a bunch of pictures isn't as common as a well built cruiser. If pictures are provided, they have fish blood stains on the deck, beer cans in the cup holders and she's working shallow waters, looking for a big mouthed lunker hiding in a hole.

Is there something specific you'd like to know about digger? She preforms exactly as predicted and is a very tough and easy to build boat. A heavy duty version is available and she's even tougher.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.