Car Motor For Inboard

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by kobus, Apr 7, 2008.

1. kobus

kobus Junior Member

Hi all,some help please i want to install a 1400cc twincam motor 75kw in a rubberduck,this motor pushes about 80hp @ 5000rpm can i use a direct driveshaft through the hull.keep it plain and simple no gearboxes what pitch prop should i use to get the moast out of my motor?

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Depends on size of the Boat. Also,need total weight with gear and passengers to determine Prop.

3. kobus

kobus Junior Member

Hi Jango,thx for your repl.the boat weigh in at 400kg plus say 4 passengers including skipper so total weight 650kg boat size 5m x 1.2 wide rubberduck i want to run a direct drive through hull at 4000 -4800 rpm or maybe a gearbox like the outboard 100hp yamaha at 1-2.15 ratio
    thanx kobus

4. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

For inboard with straight shaft thru the bottom -Not sure what the bottom looks like on your Boat. Figuring 700kg total, Prop dia (3 blade) should be 9 1/2 to 10 in. Pitch should be 12 for Flat bottom, max speed abt 44 mph. If Bottom has alot of Vee, 10 pitch and 34 mph. I would start with the 10 pitch and go higher if it overrevs

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  5. kobus

kobus Junior Member

Thanx jango,the bottom is a semi v shape at the stern.ill try the 10 in.then
    one more question,a friend suggests that i use a radiator in the front of the stand up console to keep it a closed circut for cooling,alternatively i can use river water for it is fresh and around 18deg.celcius.any sugestions?

6. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

The radiator idea is OK. Remember though, Air must be able to flow thru. You can't have anything behind the radiator preventing airflow. With a radiator, you will NOT need to marinize the cooling system - water pump, gaskets, BUT WILL HAVE "hot exhaust pipes" which could be a problem.

7. kobus

kobus Junior Member

thanx for the tip,ill make sure that air can go in and out of the centre console,one more problem, cooling the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipes????the engine is a standard 1400CC car motor can i use heat resistant material or should i go for water cooling,and to water cool a manifold how do i go about that???

8. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

In order to water cool the Exhaust, you will need to Install a Marine Exhaust manifold, which has water jackets built-in around the exhaust chambers and exits the water into or near a water resistant exhaust pipe into the river. This system will require a water pump to get water from the river/lake.
    OR if the motor is located such, that it will be safe to just wrap the auto type exhaust with a heat/fire proof material and not water cool it. Exhaust system should have plenty of space around it so as not to cause a fire, even with fire resistant wrappings

9. Sceptre

Sceptre Junior Member

would you like to share pictures or anymore info about ur project ? because i have a 16ft chrysler trihull carbonfiber boat with 85hp outboard that can carry upto 5 people I work in a mechanical shop so i was thinking of mounting a 1.5 honda civic engine onboard and runing a streight pipe or through gear boxes any sugestions or advice ?

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

you will loose some efficiency at 5000 rpm
    at that speed your prop is going to be small
    smaller props loose more to tip effects and slip
    the most efficient thing to do is have a large prop turning slowly
    if your looking to burn through the water then its still the same concepts involved
    larger prop turning slower is always your most efficient plan
    at 5000 rpm your going to be getting terrible losses at the prop and in terms of life span of the engine

the best auto motor for this application is always a diesel
    huge torque at lower RPM and they are build to handle the demands of marine use much better than the gas option

11. Sceptre

Sceptre Junior Member

so you recomend geting a biger prop and a diesel i dont understand how will i loose power if i jus gotta spin one prop the engine is ment to be hauling upto 2 tons

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

definitely
    most of the efficiency losses will be due to prop dynamics
    essentially a faster spinning prop has more losses than a slower prop
    the questions of diesel or gas is easily answered by considering that in a marine application engines are subject to far more constant loading than in a passenger car application
    think of it like the same reason most cars run on gas and most trucks run on diesel
    when under constant load at a variety of speeds the diesel wins out every time

prop dynamics are a complex issue but basically slower means less cavitation at non optimal speeds reduced friction lower tip losses and less slip
    look up "propcalc" and load the application
    then play with lower rpm and torque and see what props it throws out to you
    you will notice that when you increase RPM beyond a certain point you decrease efficiency
    5000 RPM is way beyond the average prop and I think
    although I may be wrong on this beyond even racing applications
    most engines want to run in the 3000 range for peak HP and at that most are stepped down 2:1

13. Sceptre

Sceptre Junior Member

ohh aite man thanks a lot i understand now I apreciate your reply so basicaly i get the feeling that car engine is no good for this

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well it does not work for this plan specifically

if you stepped down the rpm to say the 1000 range and your weight distribution and total weight were relatively the same as for the engine your replacing then it would work other than gas will get a lot less millage than diesel specially in marine use.

lots of folks use gas engines in various boats around here but they have gear boxes and couldn't care less about millage. They are also more typically into water skiing than anything else.

15. technik

technik New Member

Kobus is this motor honda nissan toyo or mitsu,is it efi or carb or cpi?carb and cpi kind of look similar,cpi will have two large wires going into the top of the throttle body under the air cleaner.if its cpi honda and has what I call a vacuum computer(fire wall mounted black box with 20+ vacuum lines running in and out)run don't Walk to a new option.if your mechanically inclined I can walk you through changing the cam timing to bring the peak torque rpm as low as possible depending on the engine management system type.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.