aerosil/cabosil handling tips

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Charly, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Charly

Charly Senior Member

I will never forget my first introduction to cabosil. Working dockside on a small sailboat in Fla, I opened a big bag of the stuff, cutting the top off with a razor knife... in about 20 knots of wind...:D yall know the rest.

Years later, I am about to do it again- this time of course, I know to find a spot of dead air. but thought it would be a good idea this time to ask the rest of the boatbuilding universe for some useful handling tips. Anybody know any useful tricks for measuring and mixing
    Thanks!

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...yep. do it slowly......yall know the rest...as you say.....have fun mate.

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...I think it is like Sika...it has to go everywhere to show that you are a real tradesman....

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Put it in large garbage bag before you cut it. Use one of those bags with ties at top. Keep it shut at top stick you hand to get what you need into cup with lid. You can almost do it perfectly if you go a little slow. Leave in bag for next use. Keeps moisture out... $.50 please

5. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

With small portions (for gluing) I just pour some on top of the resin mix and start stirring.. when the compound "feels" right a gentle blow removes the excess cab-o (close your eyes while..). For larger mixes it's hard to put too much.
    Plastic flour cups are great to work with it..

6. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Charly, if your power mixing, run the shaft of the stirrer through a ply or foam core lid on the bucket. Jeff.

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

On the downside, Cabosil is not good for the lungs. On the upside, it's edible, McDonalds uses it to thicken milkshakes.

8. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

And some pastries have it too..

9. Herman

Herman Senior Member

It is used in bread, sausages, milkshakes, medicines (mixed with the active components it makes the components flow well into the pill-press).

There are more strange things in your food. I have a gypsum with only 3 months shelf life. I asked why it was so short. The answer was that many sausages consist of 25% gypsum!!!
    As I do not use it for food, shelf life got extended to 12 months...

Aerosil handling: This stuff is bad news for your lungs, so be careful. I have 2 open-top drums (the ones with the large lids) in which I empty the aerosil bags. You can scoop (gently) the aerosil into 20 liter (5 gallon) buckets with lid, as a stock for working. From there it is just scooping it up and use it. When mixing, keep close to the suction side of a ventilator, or near the ventilation system. A sanding bench is great as well. (workbench with mesh top, and ventilation below it.

[​IMG]

10. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Hahahahahahahaha!

I used a large metal trash can when I bought Cabosil by the bag. Pour it in slowly and just scoop out what ya need. And ALWAYS wear a dust mask when you open that can.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.