force of sail

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sailcat, Feb 5, 2011.

1. sailcat

sailcat Junior Member

Hi
    vertical rope between points A and B ( as a rope mast)
    with triangle sail : P= AB = 50 ft E= 15 ft
    how may I calculate force of the sail on the rope for wind v= 50 ft/s
    same as beam? max load in A or B?
    I am looking for rope dimension

thank you for help

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Part of the force will be the tension on the halyard. Stretchy halyards may need more tension. Roller furlers and foils can bet away with less. I assume you are asking about a sail set flying.

3. sailcat

sailcat Junior Member

sail is working as the main in A shape mast
    I think in project Amazon(?) with A shape mast. They had this system with the rope for the main sail.
    I am trying to fin forces from sail on this rope.

4. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

You'll find by inspection that the rope will sag to leeward. This is not good for performance, and is the reason that most people use a single mast. Beyond working out the overall lift and drag forces of the sail, how these forces transfer to the structure is impossible to say without a pressure distribution and an FEA solution. Not simple, and not for the faint hearted.

Tim B.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is an old problem, with wire being much better then a length of line, even if it is spectra. Next, up the food chain would be rod, though the typical aluminum extrusions used in masts will have less drag then your two stick and line/wire/rod leading edge treatment. At least this has been the case with all the attempts, at cleaning up the leading edge by using a bi pod mast arrangement.

6. Perm Stress

Perm Stress Senior Member

Take a look at any Class Society Rules on Large Yacht Rigs. They give calculation method for headsail on a stay, in principle similar to your problem. Of course, Class load estimation always err on the high side.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.