Does anyone have a basic 40' hull file I can use?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mwysen, Jul 25, 2010.

1. mwysen

mwysen Junior Member

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, so please forgive me if this sounds stupid or is out of place, but...

I'm studying Marine design at the Savannah College of Art and Design, and will be going up to the Landing School for their design course this fall. I'm currently working on my senior/thesis project for my marine design minor.

I'm trying to design the interior and superstructure of a planing hull and could really use a basic hull form to play with. I'm not a naval architect, and am not focusing on the hull design for this project. That being said, I could really use a decent starting hull design. Normally I would go into Rhino Marine and use the wizard to make one, but do not have access to the marine plug in right now. If anyone has a hull similar to a Cabo, Tiara, etc., which they would be willing to share, that would be perfect.

BTW, I am going to be working on this in Rhino, so any .3dm file would be preferred.

Also, if anyone has a file of a Zeus pod drive system, or a CAT C32 diesel, or knows where to find one, that would be really helpful as well.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide me.

-Matt W.

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Senior Member

PM me for simplified Zeus drive.

4. mwysen

mwysen Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. Apparently I am not yet able to PM people (I need 3 more posts before I can). But thank you for the hull file, that is exactly what I was looking for.

-Matt W

5. ABoatGuy

ABoatGuy Member

A CAT C32 is going to be a whole lot of engine for the boat and it will take a bigger pod than a Zeus to deal with the HP.

(Assuming it is for the same 40 ft planing boat - if it isn't for the 40 ft'r just pretend I didn't write this!)

6. mwysen

mwysen Junior Member

it was not for the 40, but for an 80 that I am working on right now as well. 2 posts to go until I can PM people...

7. DHMzip

DHMzip Junior Member

Hi mwysn,

congrats on going to the Landing school. I went there a few years ago. I can get you a quick planing hull in rhino if you like. can you give me a few more key dimensions (beam max, draft). I also have a file for a volvo IPS unit w/ engine i could send you (so you can get on the right track).

good luck,
    David

8. mwysen

mwysen Junior Member

Thanks, but I actually already found a hull that is working great. The IPS files would be a big help though.

Thanks,
    -Matt

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.