Acquiring boat mold and have questions on process...

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by JollyMon, Oct 8, 2007.

1. JollyMon

JollyMon New Member

I have only done some and I repeat some fiberglass repair and am acquiring a boat mold this week. It is a deep-v with some lapstrake steps in it and I had a few questions. #1 How do I fiberglass 90 degree corners??? (in the past I can't get the cloth to turn 90 degrees without curving over it) #2 For a 19 ft deep-v fiberglass boat what should I use for the different layers and how many??? #3 What should I add for ribs, stringers, for extra strength??? (I've heard of fiberglass stringers and other composite material)
    I have looked through a dozen pages of threads and still my questions remain so thank you in advance for any help you can give me :)

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i have a little, and i repeat, i have a little heh fiberglass in my draws. first, you CANT glass a 90 . unless you use that bad word stuff "chop", but then im not sure chop will. you'll always have a HUGE air pocket there if you try. you need a radius, if the mold has them sharp corners it must of been a production chop boat.#2 what you use for glass is Dependant on what you want, expect out of the boat. light and kinda fast, or TANK. then you need to figure out about what the "power" is going to be. remember over tough is as bad as weak. your boat needs to flex and twist a little. once you figure that out you can proceed to stringers and so on