Any updates based on the new world we live in?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by wmonastra, Apr 10, 2022.

1. mitchgrunes

mitchgrunes Senior Member

>So....The end of the world is (very) near...... What yacht will you build?
    I think it depends on which possible end of the world. If you mean the real end, maybe a space yacht? But building and supporting that might possibly exceed your resources. Also, where do you put it? To block solar radiation bursts, you could try to put yourself into the already crowded orbital earth/solar L2 point, but that is unstable, and requires station keeping. And other people might get the same idea. A hollowed out asteroid could block the radiation, and hold a lot of people, but that would be a huge undertaking to build and navigate. Of course, if the world is ending anyway, we could resurrect Project Orion (A 1950s era NASA project to build incredibly large star ships propelled by nuclear explosions, cancelled due to the atmospheric nuclear test ban treaty - probably for the best, because people didn't realize yet how dangerous radiation is).

But I think there is an interesting question for those who do believe that sea level is rising:

Some recent projections include roughly .3 meters (on average) by the year 2050, 1.3 meters by 2100, though there is a lot of uncertainty, and as we have seen, there are disbelievers. But let us assume those high estimates are real. Taking into account storm surges, tides, and breakers, that's enough to displace some people from homes, including relatively poor people in relatively poor countries where there is no space to move. Assume for the sake of argument that countries with space for people to move to, will limit immigration by climate refuges, so they must build in place.

So, are there any relatively inexpensive (say <$50,000 USD / household, perhaps even <$10,000) possible designs for floating cities?

I realize that natural floating materials (such as wood) are often short lived, perhaps a few decades even if coated by epoxy or paint, but I wonder if they could be used to build cheap floating cities, for the short term? In particular, could relatively poor people in coastal regions build their own, without a lot of technical expertise? (I realize that is impractical in far arctic areas where there is little wood.)

Or perhaps a minor update of the floating straw islands of Uros, which were built by native peoples, out of local materials.

Perhaps the new cities could be built over recently or sporadically flooded land, so they could be anchored. In addition, in many areas, shallow water wave breaks could be built, which I'm guessing could be done fairly cheaply, so maybe high waves can be limited, but in many cases, high winds cannot. Any reasonable design would have to take that into account, except in those areas where higher land creates wind shadows.

Part of the problem is that much of the less wealthy coastal population lives by near subsistence level fishing and agriculture. I assume that shallow water can create good healthy fisheries. (Though I'm not sure.) But farming takes a lot of farmable area, including current topsoil, that needs to be protected from salt water intrusion.

Another part of the problem is that poor countries are frequently poor in part because the government is disorganized and/or corrupt, and would have trouble successfully taking on any large project. But let's ignore that for the moment, or assume it has to be taken on by the local community.

Would anyone want to give this challenge a try?

Last edited: May 29, 2022
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.