Any Tricks/tips for Wetting out Biaxial cloth ???

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tpenfield, May 1, 2019.

1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

No. Doubt it. That is a lot.

For a square yard of 1708, the epoxy wetout is 25 ounces. 24 is short..expert work

You would adjust for anomalies like a thirsty core or cold resins, peelply, four ounces added for a paint roller cover, etc., an ounce for the table losses. You should have been close with 24.

My hunch is your wetout is uneven or that I don't understand VE vs epoxy. If VE requires more, then a percentage would be applied.

When I wetout, I have gotten a little religious about 40% under. Then I roll that out with a bubble buster before putting the top resin on. The topside wetout seems to want to join the liquid on the other side. I also try to even out the bottom application and I generally mark out the wetout area with a sharpie, although not for tapes.

I am using pvc 1 1/2 or 1 1/4" on a paint roller frame. It works well for moving excess resin to dry areas.

I also find the only laminating roller worth a dime is the bubble buster. I like the 1/2" x 6", but smaller might be better for you.

Then a squeegee is a must have when you know you have a lake underneath.

We also use cheap china chip brush for any lakes that form on edges.

At the end, if you used a paint roller cover, squeegee it out and you'll get like 3 oz back. But anytime I use a roller, I add 4 oz to the mix calc.

For the yard of 1708, I would mix the 25, but my epoxy is 2:1, so I round up to nearest ounces. Or 9&18 or I would mix 27. And I also always pour resin first to avoid losses.

..my take worth price charged

2. tpenfield

tpenfield Senior Member

Yes, 32 fl oz does seem like a lot. . . I have been using around 26 oz. instead of 24 oz, plus my adhered plastic method that I described, and the wet-out has been better than my initial go's.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.