Any tricks for stripping chrome?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by bntii, Mar 20, 2008.

1. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Just have a few small parts and want to strip down to bronze and polish.
    Some kind of acid?

Thanks all

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Interested to know the answer to this myself being a motorcycle enthusiast I could do with knowing how to do this?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Send it to me, I'll have my ex-wife hold it next to her heart for a few minutes, which will be more then enough.

4. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

I was going to suggest sending it to a Keno Girl in Reno ... but that only works for trailer hitch balls ... ;)

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I once searched for an answer to this. I came across a forum where some guys were talking about how easy it is. One guy said he used normall houselod bleach. The other guy who didnt want to be out of the picture said he just soaks the part in washing up liquid???????

This was a septic forum by the way. It does'nt work. No i didnt try it.

6. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Found this on another forum:

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thats interesting. What and where could i find Muratic acid ? I mean is it in a domestic fluid that could do the job and be bought from a supermarket. I live on an Island off Malaysia. lemon juice, viniger, battery acid, tile cleaner. Oxalic?

8. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Damned if I know - the last time I bought muriatic acid it was from a chemical supplier who sold me carwash soaps and waxes and hydraulic fluid. And that was over twenty years ago.

Hardware store maybe, or auto supply store?

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thinking about it maybe its more of an electrolite than an acid, seeing as though heavy current is needed to displace the chrome. (Opposite to the chroming in the first place.) Dont they use copper sulphate solution, or battery acid would do then?????

I dont know im guessing -just trying to find a recognisable substitute.

10. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Spirits of salts
    Hydrochloric acid
    Muriatic acid

All the same thing. Very common industrial chemical at around 30% often used as a cleaner at lower dilutions .

cheers

11. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

muriatic acid

It is used in swimming pool cleaning so those suppliers should have it.

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

heyz,,,i got some of that in the shop for the concrete floors,,,i think,,,maybe not,,,but if that stuff works,,,,hmmmm,,,i need to go to the mall,,,,"find" a piece of chrome to try,,,,ive been waiting for someone to answer,,,dam you guys are SLOW!! hehe ;)
    and how did that go?/,,,add water to acid,,,,,acid to water?,,,,,man this is confusing,,,,maybe i should try this outside,,hehe ;)

13. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Mas,

No joke about the add acid to water part. Adding water to acid (or to caustic) will cause an immediate violent reaction. Severe burns and possible permanent eye damage if you're lucky; blindness and/or lung damage if you're not. And yes, do it outside, because there will be fumes even when done properly, and have rubber gloves and eye protection.

Good way to remember is you want to add a little bit of the nasty stuff to a large amount of water to stay safe.

14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

well after THAT description,,i think i gonna write it down and tape to my acid,,,especially that last sentence Charm,,,good way to remember ,,Thanks,,;)

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Mmmm there must be a better way of remembering that.

Damn I can remember it now and I am thinking about it.

Would battery acid work? thats how you buy batteries here,--dry, and they give you a bottle of mix to put in yourself, imagine that in Europe!!

Anyway --say I got this set up with a bucket . I assume that swoping the polarity will mean I got my own chroming plant.They gold plate jewellry at the side of the road in Bangkok using old scrap gold ,but what can I use to chrome with? an old car door handle?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.