Any thoughts on using DURAKORE to build multihull hulls?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by magentawave, Nov 14, 2019.

1. magentawave

magentawave Senior Member

I was looking at a multihull recently that had hulls built with Durakore. This boat was built about 25 years ago and was in excellent condition.

Durakore is made in Australia and I know that many of the beautiful Schionning cats use Durakore, but this is the first boat I've seen in the US that was made with it.

Question... If you had two identical boats of the same design and one had tortured plywood and epoxy hulls and the other had Durakore and epoxy hulls (both have marine plywood decks and cabin), do you have any idea what the weight difference might be between the two boats? (Let's say the tortured ply boat weighed 5500 lbs.)

Any other thoughts on Durakore would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Do you mean the Durakore that had end grain balsa with mahogany veneers outside?

3. magentawave

magentawave Senior Member

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I have built many boats with that material. It is really good and easy to use. It is possible to make wide panels by pinning several strips at a time with thin screws to save time. In areas with moderate curves, we could pin together up to 12 planks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.