Aluminium Boat With Steel Piping

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by 1995 crew, Jan 28, 2006.

1. 1995 crew

1995 crew Junior Member

Dear Friends,

I'm working on a project of a aluminium fishing vessel, most of the piping system are going to be built in steel so my question is: Where to find good information about types of solutions for joints between this pipes and the hull, and isolation details like for instance:

- Certified discharge valves attached to hull shell and seachest valves, I was thinking on using plastic coated valves or plastic liners for the bolts together with suitable gasket but don't know the best or "typical" solution adopted.

- Pipe hangers, I suppose rubber between pipe and steel hangr will be enough

- I have been checking requirements from one class society (ABS) but are vague and old, maybe this way they are opening the door to different solutions...

If some of you have experience with this type of projects and to like to give some advice would be appreciated. In themena time, as soon as I find more doubts will put them in this post.

Best regards,

2. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Why using steel piping in an aluminium environment? There are some other methods. Many shipyards use PVC or PE systems; in case you flange steel against alu use a nylon gasket in way of isolator.

3. 1995 crew

1995 crew Junior Member

thanks for your comments DArtois,

According to what I checked in the rules, plastic pipes must be only used for class III piping and therefore are not suitable for bilge nor FIFi systems (class II) unless you want the class to specially consider that case.

I think the insulation would be easy to implement once agreed with the class.
    Maybe nylos strip for the pipe hangers would be also OK.

Every idea is welcome

Best regards,

4. george allard

george allard Junior Member

I was in the fire sprinkler business a few years ago. Any supplier will have diaelectric fittings and hangers. They should work.

5. 1995 crew

1995 crew Junior Member

Hi George,

I will look for that material, if somebody can give some web page for start searching can put it here,

Regards,

6. george allard

george allard Junior Member

Most wholesale plumbling supply store carry those parts.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.