Tri fli trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by guzzis3, Apr 3, 2016.

1. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Hi all,

I know these have been mentioned before in other threads but I have been able to find almost nothing about them online.

Anyway I've bought one. I need a mast top section and tramps. No idea where to look. Any suggestions and information most appreciated. Any pointers to web pages, anything really...

I'm outside brisbane, so suppliers in SEQ would be good.

2. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

3. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Manfred,

I assume this boat is similar? But not based on the Tri Fli?

4. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

5. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

The design is close to 30 years old and so you will need to get custom replacements made. You could try

Multihull tramps and nets by Gordon Myers
    Manufacturer of custom multihull trampolines and nets including welded, Ferrari and open mesh.
    0488026696 or gordonmyers1@bigpond.com

for the nets and look carefully at the top section. It may be the same as a Laser top section.

6. Munter

Munter Amateur

It may not be possible to source a compatible top section (I have no idea whether they are a common profile) but in that case, it would probably be a good opportunity to upgrade the whole mast. A new carbon or alloy section in an easily available profile may well be cheaper than a bespoke section of shorter length. Maybe there is even a windsurfing mast that would fit?

7. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Thank you for the replies.

The stress and sea flash look like someone took the molds modified them and reorganised the connections and a few other things.

The tri fli was made in NSW in the 80's. In lindfield from what I've found.

The mast is a round 2" aluminium section. It's much longer than a windsurfer mast. The lower section is 4.5 meters and I'm guessing the top is another 2 meters or there abouts. The luff is 6.2 meters so you'd want a bit more than that. It's also stayed, and I'd want to keep the 3 wire system.

The nearest thing to the tramps is the hobie 17 wings, but I think the length and width is different. They would be a lot better retaining the pocket connection rather than lacing on because the connection poles come apart in various places for transport. The pockets make it much easier to assemble. The tramps are 1.7 metre long x 1 metre wide. I suppose if I could find flat tramps about the right size I could put up with lacing them.

The tramps will probably have to be custom made but I should be able to find a standard mast extrusion and connection, hopefully laser. I was never a dinghy sailor so am not that familiar with the classes..

I've attached a photo from gumtree. I'll take some of my own later. If you study the connecting beams you'll see they are stainless 40mm diameter and the rear ones do a 90 degree turn down and fit into holes in the main hull. In the stress etc they have a straight rear beam across like a cat. Most bits on the boat are standard apart from the hulls of course. The floats are just 8' or 2.5 long and have a V shape a bit like a hobie. It has a daggerboard and a transom mounted swing up rudder, but high aspect.

Anyway...looking forward to getting it wet :)

Attached Files:

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

tri fli

g3, looking forward to pictures of your boat when you get it together. Good Luck!

9. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Ok I put it together and measured some stuff.

Obviously the tramps are shot the top mast section is missing and I'm still figuring out some stuff.

Regarding the rigging no idea about the main sheet. I assume the front of the wishbone boom is laced like a block back and forth between the 6 holes in the boom and the saddle on the mast. At the end of the boom there is what I believe to be a hook attachment for the clew and a couple of lines to jam cleats which I assume is some sort of outhaul. I've got a couple of fairly long pieces of rope, 2 single blocks either side of the tiller and maybe an attachment to the back of the boom. Otherwise nothing and no clue.My best guess is the lines are lashed to each tramp up to a block at the boom/clew then down through the transom block and up to the boom again. That would give you 2:1 but it is a bit messy, and no opportunity to cleat the sheet.

I weighed it aswell. Main hull is approximately 40 kg with each float/beam/tramp assembly abut 15 kg. The floats are 2.5m long an the main 4.3 ish.. I forgot to measure the beam but I think it's 2.7 - 3 m.

The bottom mast section is 4500 the top is 2200 exposed, plus whatever slip into the lower section. So it's probably 2500 mm all up.

Attached Files:

10. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

More pics

Attached Files:

11. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

My plan is to put stuff here as I find it so others who are trying to sort a tri fli out will have some info to go on. At the moment there is really very little online, and I know there are some left out there...

Attached Files:

12. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

I visited another trifli owner today. They were very helpful. Took some photos.

Obviously this one has a centerboard instead of mine's dagger board. I'm processing some of what I've learned and will come back and add details about rigging and mast size etc later.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.