well learned lessons

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by JLIMA, Apr 21, 2010.

1. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

My son was bitten by the boat building bug a few months ago, he put together a rather nice looking little 8' cat rig. He how ever insisted that his non-reinforced 1/4 ply wood rudder was plenty strong enough what he intended to do, then yesterday we had an "I told you so" moment. He skipped school and decided he wanted to go for a sail instead, and some debris in the water removed his rudder for him. Unfortunately the boat got blown onto the hurricane barrier which is effectively just a pile of really big rocks and the boat is a total loss. But he is grounded until school gets out for the summer. The bright side is he wants build another boat much stronger, but that will have to wait until June. Maybe next time he'll listen to what I say a little better.

2. LyndonJ

LyndonJ Senior Member

I hope you are acting as his insurer ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.