Veneer Sheath

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Butch .H, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Help! I had a good look at my hull and have found that the old girl has a veneer sheath:eek: .(I have just bought cotton reems of the stuff). I thought at the time the paint was realy thick . But I guess I am the thick one:mad: . Any advice on repair and maintenace of this type of sheath
    Regards
    Butch

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Are you talking wood veneers? If so this is a technique used both to build cold molded boats, and to save older boats that need major hull repair, but it would cost more than the boat is worth. So they put veneers, long strips of thin wood on the outside, generally coating them with an epoxy resin. This strengthens and seals the hull. A boat with this can last quite a while. Repairing it is essentially the same. If a veneer needs replacing just replace it with another veneer. You can make your own, or buy them. There are companies that supply boat lumber that also supply veneers. But the cheapest and easiest way is to use door skins, the veneers used on hollow doors. You can get them from any lumber company that supplies builders. They can be ripped to the width you need. You then coat one side with epoxy and staple it to the boat. Leave the staples proud or put a small piece of cardboard between the staple and the veneer because after the epoxy sets you are going to pull the staples. Then coat the outside with epoxy.

3. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Thanks Ike

4. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Hi Ike
    Yup wood cold molded . Considering her age (1933) I wonder if this is the original construction . On the inside it looked as if she was caraval planked.
    Regards
    Butch

5. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

If the inside appears to be carvel planked, it no doubt is. It was probably allowed to dry out thoroughly and then covered with about 3 layers of veneer and epoxy (or maybe not epoxy). So the original hull planking very well could be from 1933.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.