Surface Foils

Discussion in 'Stability' started by rogerstrube, Jun 24, 2008.

1. rogerstrube

rogerstrube Junior Member

I am experimenting with surface foils on small trimarans. I am trying to develop a small (under 16') trimaran for use by elderly and/or disabled sailors. These boats are intended for use in protected waters. I have built 3 and have added surface (deck level) foils principaly to deflect water but secondarily to decrease roll. The amas are low volume and submerge in winds over 10 knots. The boats are capable of 9.5 knots. These projects may be viewed on my website: www.wingsailor.com by clicking on the "Trimarans" tab. Some pictures of my hobby shop may be viewed by clicking on the "A Place to Work" tab.
    The nose foil on "Blue Moon" has worked very well and I am now adding anti-roll foils to the amas at the aka attachments.
    Anyone have any experience with surface foils?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.