New Shallow Running Tunnel Hull Boat Build. Need Help PLZ

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by DOPatrick, Jun 11, 2010.

1. DOPatrick

DOPatrick Junior Member

Hello EVERYONE,

This is my first time to post a question here. I have been reading alot of your stuff though.

Im building a Shallow running tunnel hull fiberglass boat. If you dont know, most are designed to run accross 2-4 inches of water on a full run and float in about 6 inches of water. the sides (hull) normally are only about 12-14 inches thick and usually have a flat deck with a center console and leaning post. Most have a built up front fiberglass casting deck built on the boat which has storage.
    " WHAT THE HELL YOU NEED THAT FOR ! You ask....... "
    ANSWER - Along the southern coast of texas and around the gulf of mexico, theres llot of oyster reefs, sand bars and such. Like wise, the redfish love thoughs areas. also in the small channels cut into the salt reeds. well to get to thoughs areas, most of the time your in 1-3 feet of water and have to run accross 8 inches of water to get there. THATS where the redfish are.

I have a wooden plug being made and im almost done. Its 16ft 4 inches, by 72 inches wide and looks to be about 13 1/2 inches thick without the deck. I will make the mold from the plug. gel coat and firberglass them pop the boat hull out....... then the deck......... ????

QUESTIONS. 1) How is the deck secured to the boat? I plan on installing 2 outside foam filled beams and 2 major foam filled beams in the center made from composite, and then fiberglassed to the boat. running length ways. outside beams are 12 inch by 6 inch and the center 2 are 12 inch by 12inch,, ruffly... and 16 feet long. All 4 beams are spaced out evenly. Do i just lay the composit plywood on top the boat and screw to the foam filled beams counter sinking the screws? And do i firberglass the deck after its secured to the boat body?
    QUESTION 2) after the deck is on, and start the fiberglass, how do i get the textured look in the deck. They have a look like LARGE fiberglass mat was used on them and then gel coated. It puts texture so you wont slip off the boat.

Thanks for your time. Any thing that will help my complete my project will be greatly appreciated. Im designing my mold extra thick and braced with steel beams on the out side so it wont loose its shape, in case i want to make more.

2. milnejk

milnejk New Member

I am also a new poster to this forum after lurking for a couple of years. I am in the process of completely rebuilding a shallow water boat and have already installed my decking. My stringers are composite foam filled similar to what you are using and my decking is made w/Coosa Board.

To fasten the deck, I glassed a shelf on the sides of the hull level with the top of the stringers. The deck is attached to the shelf and stringers with 5200. I used screws to hold the deck tight to the stringers and shelf until the 5200 cured. I removed the screws and filled the holes w/filler.

The deck was then faired to the sides of the boat w/a mixture of Cabosil to give a nice radius and the deck was covered with a layer of mat,cloth and mat that extended up the sides of the hull.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in and add their comments.

Where are you located? I am in Port O"Connor, Tx

My email: milnejk@hotmail.com

John

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.