Overseaer 550 (Going through SOR spiral)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kvsgkvng, Feb 29, 2012.

1. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

This is a continuation of this older thread:
    and that thread was parented by this:
    In hopes thinking rationally, I imagined why not shipping your boat to the port of destination in a freight container. After this “coastal cruiser” arrives in the port of destination, unpack it and go on to explore those distant shores. This would allow avoiding ocean crossings where most of bad things tend to happen.

Because I have tendencies to pompous ringing titles, I would like to call the next loop in the PAR spiral “Overseaer 550” -- I have vague idea what it means but is sounds pretty good to me.

I would also like to stay on this boat for prolonged times to cruise along shores. Hopefully it would be a cross between a coastal motor-cruiser and houseboat. Simple outboard engine on the bracket would fit the bill for motor-cruiser part. The house boat and coastal-cruiser hybrid is a bit more difficult for me.

International shipping container clear span sizes
    ==========================================
    Standard 40: 39’5”L x 7’8”W x 7’10”H Gates: 7’8”W x 7’6”H
    Standard 20: 19’4”L x 7’8”W x 7’10”H Gates: 7’8”W x 7’6”H
    ==========================================
    So, here we go with my motifs for the max boat dimensions. I am not sure about small details, but judging the above dimensions and spare margins the maximum size for the coastal cruiser being shipped around the world would be 18’6” x 7’W x 7’H. That is the envelope, meaning nothing should protrude beyond these dimensions without reattachment or assembly. For example, the mast could be lowered and the head boom could be unbolted and stowed inside the cabin during shipping.

This dimension should include not only the padding around the boat, but also all rigging. Therefore, the mast and booms should not extend beyond 18’L. Then all these parts could be packed alongside with the hull in the same one container.

Now, looking back at the earlier post with the magic “huevo” which already is scaled to 18’0” long (remember the humble 7’0” beginning) I think that I have gradually arrived at the number 18’ This number also translates well to the decimal system with attractive logo “550.” The “geek stuff:” 550 cm divided by 30.48 cm (exactly one foot) gives us 18.045’ I think 18’ will be qualified as 550 cm dimension.

Therefore, we have procured the length.. and the name to that matter.
    Now, what people would suggest doing about other dimensions? Width and height should be defined with logic as well. I finally got the SOR advice! Thank you PAR for suggestion.
    Height in my mind should be enough to standup and not bumping in the top of the cabin. Let’s concentrate on 6’-4” clear height to start with. Looking at the sketch -- it ain’t going to happen for such a short boat.

The width is pretty easy. 18ft over 7ft is 2.5 – that should to fit the bill pretty well.

If someone would be kind enough to add some initial requirement(s) for this forthcoming project and not knit-picking on small details , I would be very thankful!

Regards.

Attached Files:

2. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Consider a moderate pram or scow type bow to maximize the limited volume of the boat. Something like the SCAMP

From Ross Lillistone Wooden Boats
    "Greater internal volume and stability for a given length. Alternatively, you could say that for a given volume you get a much shorter and more easily stowed boat. If she was faired up as a sharp-bowed boat of the same volume and stability, Whimbrel would need to be about 21 feet long;
    Better hull shape to take leeboards - the use of leeboards has many advantages, such as a completely uncluttered interior, and freedom from the worry of having a centreboard jambed in its case by sand, shellgrit and stones - a constant worry when beach-cruising;
    Greater reserve buoyancy up forward. This is important when running off in a big sea, and is helpful considering the large sail area and forward mounting of the main sail and mast;
    In flat water at least, better speed potential due to the chine shape allowed by the pram configuration."

As far as standing headroom? Open the companion way. Too much height will severly limit a small boat's ability to windward besides looking like hell.
    Bilge keels would eliminate any centerboard cases and moving parts to jam. They would give the boat a solid perch in the container or on shore as well.

3. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

Spiral's first 400 degree counterclockwise

I have been exercising and here is the next product of my reading, thinking, observations and simple copying of other's linework.

I tried to massage those coefficients, centers and angles as best as I could. Mast rig, heeling and detail weight calcs are still pending.

Could someone with seasoned experience comment on this model, please?
    Thanks-a-lot, regards.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.