Antifoul, what to use if I don't know what the old stuff is?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by DennisRB, Sep 18, 2013.

1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I didn't know that, interresting. So they are made of the same compostion of steel but rolled thinner?

2. discovery

discovery Junior Member

I believe hes referring to making the scrapers out of auto leaf springs. I have done this before and with a little experimenting with the cutting edge relief angle, they work good and are surprisingly comfortable to use.

3. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

What grade sandpaper should I use with on my orbital?

4. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

marmite and chilli peppers kills most things hanging off a hull

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Load 60 grit on the sander , hand the sander to anyone standing around then...........STAND CLEAR

6. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Haha. I already have the disposable overalls and masks etc. I won't be breathing this **** in.

I don't intend on painting over any barnacles etc, so they don't need to be killed with marmite prior to the application of the antifoul. However marmite and chilli does sound like a delicious seafood receipie. :D

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

As course as necessary to make knocking down the initial layers of paint fairly easy. It all depends on how bad the hull is. I've used 24 grit, but much more often 40 - 60 grit. You can make a career out of 100 grit, unless trying to fine tune a surface.

8. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

I don't intend to remove all the old stuff, just sand it back enough to get the new stuff to stick well. What grit finish is required before adding the new antifoul?

Also, the part I am not sure how to do is the waterline. I have nice gelcoat then a thick lip of various layers of anti foul. How do I efficiently sand this area without scratching the gelcoat?

9. PAR

You really can't (save the boot stripe), unless willing to tape things off, followed by compounding and buffing. The boot stripe, if left as gelcoat will just scum up quickly anyway, so paint is the usual answer.

60 - 80 grit will rough smooth things down, with 100 - 120 to finish smooth things on the bottom. Personally, I never go past 100 on bottom paint.

10. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Some people around here mix cayenne pepper into the bottom paint to help make it un-palatable, I don't know if it works or not.

11. PAR

It doesn't Sam, unless you mix in enough pepper to affect paint adhesion, at which point you have other problems.

12. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Couple layers of tape will protect your boottop . The tape edge also acts as a handy guide for your paint scraper.

The new nano particle polishes are very effective on boot tops.

The particle is 14si

Check the label...popular with car guys.

The Permanon brand is easy to use http://www.permanonusa.com/

13. CDK

CDK retired engineer

What really works is the active ingredient called capsaicin. There are other pepper varieties containing far higher concentrations.
    This is an interesting article: http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/pepper/2002075348029538.html

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.