Maritime News Articles

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Guest-3-12-09-9-21, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Guest-3-12-09-9-21

Guest-3-12-09-9-21 Senior Member

I wasn't sure where to place a news article on some offshore news that could be interesting (especially since there are many workers working offshore around the world). I figured that I should start a new thread as a clearinghouse for the latest news items and a place to submit the opinions, etc.

Just read this article at rigzone (offshore news website)

http://www.rigzone.com/

Gunmen Kill Oil Worker in Nigeria
    Dow Jones Newswires Tuesday, December 04, 2007

LAGOS Dec 04, 2007 (AFP via Dow Jones Newswires)
    Gunmen have killed one person and seriously injured a second in an attack on a crewboat operated by Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM) in the oil-rich Niger Delta, an industry source said Tuesday.

"One crew (member) was killed and one seriously injured," said the source.

The nationality of the crew members is not known.

He said the incident happened offshore from Onne, in Nigeria's southern Rivers State.

Copyright (c) 2007 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

Is this the first fatality of a crew by gunmen down there, or is it just the first I have heard of it happening? Makes me glad that I am floating around the Gulf of Mexico instead of Nigeria...

--Chuck

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Getting nasty down there! always has been a bit fraught but this is looking bad!

3. Guest-3-12-09-9-21

Guest-3-12-09-9-21 Senior Member

100_1108EDITED_185735.jpg
    VENICE, La. - A Coast Guard Rescue Helicopter prepares to hoist a man injured in a workboat accident approximately seven miles north of Main Pass, Dec. 11, 2007. Coast Guard crews rescued nine people after the workboat Lady Marie struck and became lodged on a wellhead near Venice, La. Four HH-65C rescue helicopter crews from Air Station New Orleans medevaced six people from the workboat. Four men were flown to Air Station New Orleans where they were met by ambulances and two others were flown directly to West Jefferson Memorial Hospital. A rescue boat crew from Station Venice transported two men to shore. The captain is still on scene with the workboat, along with another rescue boat crew from Station Venice. The Coast was alerted to the emergency at approximately 5:10 a.m. by the captain of the the Lady Marie by way of marine radio.