anti-skid deck texture

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Lew Morris, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Lew Morris

Lew Morris Industrial Designer

looking for a source for ready-made anti-skid deck-texture material for pattern making purposes....

any body familiar with products available?

2. Scott

Scott Junior Member

Maybe Interlux 2398 Polymeric Noskid Compound

Interlux 2398 Polymeric Noskid Compound
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Regular, spherical shape said to be superior to natural grit.

Apply by brush, roller, or spray

8 oz can added to 1 quart deck enamel covers approx 137 sq ft

$6.95 per 8 ounce can plus price of deck enamel, about $18.75 per quart.

"We added the compound to our deck enamel per the manufacturer's recommendation of four ounces of compound per quart of enamel, but adding more of the compound might have increased traction. Unlike Monster Grip, Interlux is designed and formulated for use under wet conditions. Further, the Interlux was more comfortable on bare feet as is features a regular spherical shape that is far less gritty."

This is from http://www.boatus.com/foundation/findings/nonskid2.htm

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

When you say for pattern making purposes can you be more specific?

4. Lew Morris

deck texture

hey guys thanks for the reply(s)...

i'm building patterns (plug) and molds for a little sloop and it's time to lay down the "texture" for the walkways on the deck and cockpit areas.

i guess what i am looking for is some kind of pre-manufactured, take it out of the box, cut it to shape and stick it down, kind of product... it needs to be stable under FRP moldmaking conditions (chemical resistance, and heat), and would need to be able to conform to compound surfaces.

over the years i've tried just about every trick in the book including taking molds off of the decks of other boats to duplicate texturing on my own patterns. way too ($$$) time consuming...

i've called several manufacturers and tried to find out what they use... but from the responses i've received you'd think it was a national security issue.

5. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Did you see the ad in Pro Boatbuilder for Gibco Flex-Mold "Non Skid Pattern Solutions"?
    Gibco Flex-Mold
    Phone: (817) 236-5021
    Fax: (817) 236-5020
    Email: gibco@swbell.net

6. Lew Morris

many thanks...

Jeff,

Thanks for the turn-on to Flex-Mold AND Professional Boatbuilder magazine... they are both of assistance.

7. Lew Morris

Gibco's Flex-Mold is tooooo cool...

Jeff,

I've just received Flex-Mold's sample swatch kit... this material and technique is the definitive answer to new tooliing AND repair work.

Thanks AGAIN for the turn-on !!! It's an expensive route, but not as expensive it was going to be....

regards, Lew

8. james_r

james_r Junior Member

I know this thread is more than half a year old but just in case someone else is looking for an alternative I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. Formica produces textured laminates, not just the smooth surfaced ones most of us are familiar with. Quite a few years ago I worked for CS yachts and, when building the deck plugs, we used a laminate with a pebble finish. If building a one-off throwaway mold there's no reason why the laminate couldn't just be applied directly to the mold.

9. Ted1785

Ted1785 Junior Member

Have you thought about that gorilla bed stuff. Its used for truck beds. Its not skid, dont know about heat or chem. resistant. Its worth a try. At less than 10 bucks a quart it cant hurt.

10. yipster

yipster designer

antislip deckpaint

since almost breaking my neck on deck one dark night long ago i've been thinking of mixing some day fluor dayglow into it...:cool: yipster

11. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

Ahh but remember you see black better at night than anything else!

Having said that part dayglo orangedecks are mandatory on the Vendee Globe

12.4 All yachts will have to be equipped with surfaces covered with fluorescent orange paint, visible at all times on the deck and hull (appendages and submarine).

- cant think why!

12. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

PS For fairly agressive nonskid, paint on some epoxy and sprinke sugar /salt in it (grain size as required). When dry wash out. Good for a quick and dirty fix, but not permanent, as the little holes clog up with.... well whatever little holes clog up with and are impossible to make clean...

13. yipster

yipster designer

Polarity
    didnt get that, you mean that as in: black is best black and see almost nothing? (exept paradise at the dashboard light) or please enlighten me.
    can think why its done just did not know, also got lightgreen or bleu pastel colors? :D

14. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

Nope!, as in black contrasts better at night than a colour.

Info on how night vision works is here http://www.sarbc.org/nightvis.html

Basically you use the Rods at the edges of your eyes at night rather than the Cones in the centre. The rods only give a sensation of black,white or grey and are quickly de-sensitised by light (except red light). So your dayglo orange (note the "day" in dayglo) would be lost as just another shade of grey

Simple experiment: place a black object and a bright orange on on your deck, let your eyes adjust for 10 mins (so you are using the rods to see). Which can you see better.

Then look off to one side of the objects and you will find you can see even more detail! This is because the rods are on the outside of the eyes not in the centre. Incedentally this also applies to Binoculars at night, turning your eyes slightly so the light gets to the rods at the side of your eyes!

Have fun!

Professor Paul

15. J & J

J & J Junior Member

The Interlux that member Scott posted about has two good values to make note of. The round ball anti skid meterial sheds water better because the water has less places to get trapped.
    The same thing is true for dirt if it has no place to get trapped like behind a flat piece of grit it will not be as dirty and much less cleaning is required.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.