ANSYS SpaceClaim - Stiffeners

Discussion in 'Software' started by Iain Young, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Iain Young

Iain Young Junior Member

I am currently re-modelling my vessel as I had issues in a previous version with some of my stiffeners. The aim of the model is to carry out static structural analysis by applying loads at each end of the vessel to determine the forces throughout the vessel.

The method I am using is to use line elements and then implement the cross-sections onto these elements using the Beam tool in SpaceClaim (under the Prepare tab). Once I have applied the cross section to the line element, I then change the Section Anchor to Location so I can offset the beam so that the web of the stiffener is flush with whatever surface it is on.

upload_2023-3-5_18-27-34.png

Firstly, does anyone have an alternative solution to modelling beams on SpaceClaim? This is an incredibly cumbersome way of doing this and find it hard to believe there isn't a more efficient method.

Once the beam is in place, the longitudinal stiffeners (for example) pass through several transverse frames which brings me to my second question: do I have to take further action once the stiffeners are in place; is it acceptable to just model the beams to pass through the transverse frames?

upload_2023-3-5_18-27-8.png

Thank you in advance.

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

I have not used SpaceClaim.
    However a quick review online review HERE suggests that it is really about ensuring a model from any 3D modelling software, will be converted into a model suitable for meshing much easier.
    It does not appear that it's raison d'etre is to be a substitute for FEA, merely an appendage to it, for easier meshing.

Meshing is one of the most important aspects of FEA, it must be done concisely and should never be simply "automatic" as you then have no control over what is being created.
    Nor can you guarantee consistent results, especially if incorrect element types are selected.

As noted previously HERE, you can't model elements like that in FEA, they must be coincident breaks at intersections.
    Thus if your stringer passes through a deeper beam, how does the element that is created from those two members know they are connected?

In you previous post HERE you were finally on the right track.
    Why did you abandon it in favour something that is an unknown quantity?
    That's going from the frying pan into the fire!!... :eek:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.