Ansys aqwa Change Reference Point

Discussion in 'Software' started by snowball32, Oct 25, 2018.

1. snowball32

snowball32 New Member

Hi,

As I understand, the hydrodynamic database (RAOs, forces, damping, etc) aqwa creates is about the centre of gravity. According to the manual (25.7. The REFP Data Record - New Hydrodynamic Reference Point https://www.sharcnet.ca/Software/Ansys/15.0.7/en-us/help/aqwa_ref/aqwaref_deck16L_refp.html), I should be able to define a new reference point (which I would like to be the SWL). I'm able to change this in data category 16 and I'm inclined to believe that my formatting is correct since aqwa runs without errors and the output .lis file suggests that the hydrodynamic reference point is read correctly (see attached images). However, the new outputs provided after the shift are the exact same as those prior regardless of the point I change to (even when I input extremely high values).

I'm at a bit of a loss here and would greatly appreciate anyone who could point me in the right direction as to why the outputs do not change/what I'm doing incorrectly.

Input line:
    Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 7.19.09 PM.png

Output Line:
    Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 7.19.34 PM.png

2. Chiemela Victor

Chiemela Victor Junior Member

I may not know the version of ANSYS AQWA or ANSYS Workbench that you are using, however even if it is not ANSYS 19.0 or ANSYS 19.2, you should be able to do one small setting that should fix the problem for you. In the Workbench window, Go to the Tool >> Appearance>> Beta Option. Check the box. and click okay. Then go to ANSYS AQWA window, Clear the generated results and then you re-run it.

I used it in my current research work too. Let me know if that sorts your problem.
    For further reference, you can check out my paper on which is used ANSYS AQWA and Orcaflex to work with:
    Strength of submarine hoses in Chinese-lantern configuration from hydrodynamic loads on CALM buoy
    hose https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0029801818314550

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.