Stickiest, Most Powerful Single Sided Tape?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by CatBuilder, May 9, 2012.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Does anyone have a suggestion for the stickiest, most powerful single sided tape available to buy in the USA?

I was using Gorilla Tape Duct Tape from Home Depot and I thought it was great...

Until it reached the mid 90's in my shop today and all my work ended up on the floor!!!

My entire infusion setup fell right off the boat in the heat. Flow media, Enka Channel, tubing, the works! Was I ever p*ssed off! I could have taken the day off with the same result!!

Now, I have a pile of infusion materials all around the hull, all messed up and I have to stick it back on there tomorrow morning and see if I can get the bag on and get it to pump down before it gets hot enough to make it fall off again. :mad:

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. CatBuilder

I'll try that. Thanks Hoyt!

4. hoytedow

De nada.

5. CatBuilder

I'd give you rep for that instant, correct answer, but I am not allowed to. It seems I'm not portioning it out well enough...

6. CatBuilder

Ah, it would appear the tape I have does have the same 200F rating that the high temp tape has...

Bummer. No tape sticks well to peel ply, flow media and Enka channel once the temperatures rise. I guess I'll just have to try to hurry tomorrow - if not, I'm going to the night shift.

Gorilla Tape:
    Assembled Depth (in.) : 6.0 in
    Assembled Height (in.) : 1.88 in
    Assembled Width (in.) : 6.0 in
    Color Family : Blacks
    Feet per roll : 105
    Item Package Type : Plastic Container
    Material : Cloth
    Maximum application temperature (F) : 120
    Maximum hold temperature (F) : 200

Minimum application temperature (F) : 40
    Minimum hold temperature (F) : 0
    Peel backing : No
    Returnable : 90-Day
    Thickness (mm) : .43

7. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

What plastic have you found best for the vacuum bag itself? Do you find polyethylene adequate?

8. CatBuilder

No no no... you must use the real stuff if you are doing large parts.

You can screw around with little 1/3 meter parts and use poly and other cheap materials, but for larger jobs, I highly (can't stress enough) recommend the proper Airtech supplies:

[​IMG]
    http://www.airtechonline.com/Airtechstore/product.asp?Dept_ID=4&ProductID=4

[​IMG]
    http://www.airtechonline.com/catalog/pr_cat/vac_b/01_vac_b.pdf

Of note, it is quite possible to use Liquid Nails or any other panel adhesive to quickly and thoroughly close up a bag if you are not using tape for some reason. Works very well if infusing on a flat surface. Not so well for infusing these:

Attached Files:

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

That's depressing. I was going to suggest the Gorilla tape, until I got to the next sentence and found out that's what had failed you....

Back when I was contracting, I once sent a homeowner to the hardware store for some duct tape. What she came back with was a crappy, weak imitation of duct tape -- with the brand name 'Duck Tape.' Gotta wonder how many other people they've fooled over the years, because I see it's still on the shelves.

edit: any chance of putting a water spray on the roof of your shop, to hold the temp's down? Out here in a dry climate just opening the shop doors at each end, hanging canvas, spraying it with a hose and letting the wind do its thing can work short-term miracles.

10. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

The mil sec for the good stuff is PPP T60. AKA 200mph tape. You can patch bullet holes on planes with it. Okay, I'm out of date. There's a new mil spec. Here's an example.

http://www.findtape.com/shop/product.aspx?id=144&setscreen=1&width=1280&height=0

Adhesives have a certain time reponse and far as their grab goes. Usually we are interested in the time before you can't take it off without residue. In your case you need to wait for an adequate grab. You might check for talc residue also. Many films are packaged with powder to prevent self vulcanizing. Wipe clean with alcohol.

1 person likes this.
  11. hoytedow

That would probably make the humidity even worse. Are you trying to increase the greenhouse effect?

12. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Sometimes the fumes coming from resins also cause tape to release. A fan will on air will help with heat and fumes.

This is going to sound really strange but I have used crazy glue type adhesives to hold everything in place. Kind of like little spots welds.

13. CatBuilder

There were no fumes, Mydauphin, but thanks. This was a dry infusion setup, then it fell. About ready to pump it down right now after spending the last 4 hours putting it back up

Putting it under vacuum gets the tape stuck permanently, so I'm all good now.

14. hoytedow

Better luck this time.

15. Sand crab

Sand crab Junior Member

furnace tape

Furnace tape is a step up from duct tape. It is just aluminum foil with a really sticky adhesive and won't fall off over time. You can buy it everywhere and it's not too pricey. Maybe it will work. Lot's of brands. Good Luck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.