Another question for Gerr's rule

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Samnewbie, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Samnewbie

Samnewbie New Member

Hello everyone, I'm a student and im designing a 14.5 meters day sailing charter and im planning to use Gerr's rule for scantling.
    I want to use stripe planking for the building method, but instead using cedar, I want to use foam. However, in Gerr's rule, he covered Fiberglass Sandwich or core construction in chapter 6 and Modern Wood-epoxy construction in chapter 11. I have calculate them all in spread sheet but I wonder which one should I use? anyone have any good advice? Many thanks!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What is "form"?

3. Samnewbie

Samnewbie New Member

i mean foam core,

4. erik818

erik818 Senior Member

My understanding is that the strength comes from wood with wood/epoxy. The glass skin is for protecting the wood. With foam sandwich the strength comes from the glass skin, which therefore needs to be thicker compared to a wood/epoxy design. Wood/epoxy scantling is irrelevant if you use a foam core.

Erik

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You should use the foam core formula.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.